Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

chev K2500: When driving my truck today, I parked for about

When driving my truck today, I parked for about 15 minutes. When I got back into the truck, there was no reverse and no drive. I noticed that when the indicator was in either reverse or drive or any of the other forward gears the iondicator light was flashing. Light did not flash in park or neutral. I put it back in park and checked the fluid level and it was right up and no smell. I shut the truck off and restarted it and the trans worked perfectly. Shift points are where they always have been and the rpm is the same.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

what engine and transmission do you have?

Customer:

I realized after I hit send that I did not give that info. Dmax/Allison

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

i have seen a couple of things cause this on this madel

tims auto repair :

1-the transmission position sensor[neutral safety switch

tims auto repair :

Park/Neutral Position Switch Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution: Refer to Banery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.

24_gc02ck8pu_7-941c.png
Full Size Image

1. Disconnect the external wiring harness from the PNP switch.
2. Disconnect the shift linkage/cable from the shift lever (2) on the selector shaft (4).
3. Use wrench (1) to prevent the shift lever (2) from rotating. Remove nut (3) from the end of the selector shaft (4). Carefully remove the shift lever (2) from selector shaft (4).
4. Remove the two bolts (6). Remove the PNP switch (5) by sliding it outward over the selector shaft (4).

Installation Procedure

97_gc02ck8pu_7-942a.png
Full Size Image

1. Be sure that the neutral assurance bracket (2) is in the proper position on PNP switch (1).
2. Make sure the selector shaft is in the N (Neutral) position as follows:
^ Place a wrench on the selector shaft flats and rotate the shaft to its furthest clockwise position.
^ Rotate the selector shaft two detents.

98_gc02ck8pu_7-942b.png
Full Size Image

3. Align the PNP switch (5) with the main housing so that the neutral assurance bracket is facing outward.
4. While maintaining the correct PNP switch-to-selector-shaft alignment, slide the new PNP switch (5) over the selector shaft (4).

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

5. While holding the neutral assurance bracket in engagement with the PNP switch, install the two bolts (6) so that the PNP switch may be rotated with some effort.
^ Tighten the two bolts (6) to 27 Nm (20 ft. lbs.).
6. Remove and discard the neutral assurance bracket.

Notice:
^ DO NOT drive the selector lever onto the selector shaft.
^ DO NOT use an impact wrench in order to tighten the selector lever nut. Hold the lever with a wrench while tightening the nut.
^ Failure to follow these instructions may result in transmission damage.

Notice: Refer to Transmission Selector Shaft Abuse Notice in Service Precautions.

7. Reinstall shift lever (2). Install nut (3), by hand, on the end of selector shaft (4). Use a wrench (1) to keep the shift lever from rotating.
^ Tighten nut (3) to 24 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).
8. Reconnect the shift selector linkage/cable to the shift lever (2).
9. Connect the external wiring harness to the PNP switch.

tims auto repair :

and

tims auto repair :

2- the ignition switch itself

tims auto repair :

replace that Park/Neutral Position Switch

tims auto repair :

when the problem is intermediate like this,,,it is really hard to do a good test

tims auto repair :

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button so I can get credit for my work,, the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, ,please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well I replaced the PNP switch on Sat as per instructions and backed the truck out of the shop. It worked fine but noticed that the park light was slow in coming on when I shifted into park but the light was not flashing and it went into reverse and drive perfectly so I thought great, it is fixed. Sunday I went to drive the truck, started it and put it into reverse. the light was flashing and no reverse, no drive either. I turned the truck off and restarted it. Light stayed steady but still no reverse. It felt like drive engaged but the truck would not move. I walked away before something "broke" and will have to look at it this morning. Ign switch?????

yes..very posible that the problem is the switch...though,,sense it seems to be half way engaging,,the problem may be the transmission itself,,,lets replace the switch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You are going to need more payment by the time I am finished here. I tried to get the truck into the shop and it still would not move, but now the MIL is on. Hooked up the code reader and it has code P0872 and P0700. Still looking at ign switch????. It acts differently from when I start it the first time and when I start it the second time. Have never tried three times.

yes..
im going to still think/hope it may be the ignition switch,,the 872 code tells me you are loosing power to the tcm...
i will give you the tests/checks for these codes

please copy and paste the link below to your browser..i have uploaded more info on this there

thanks
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8azxmmdw1awxiim/0729-02-chevy-2500-ALLISON%20AUTOMATIC%20TRANSMISSION.doc
.