Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Plymouth laser 1.8: Plymouth laser 1994 1.8. When hot it cuts

Plymouth laser 1994 1.8. When hot it cuts out and there is no spark at the plug. No service engine light and no codes stored. after a while it will run again. David

Hello and welcome to just answer. It has been a while since I worked on these vehicles, but if I recall, it is the ignition coil power transistor that would fail when hot and cause a no spark issue. It is mounted around the middle of the intake manifold and is fairly easy to replace. I don't remember anything else causing a no spark problem on this engine.

I hope this information helps, and let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is no ignition power transistor in the middle of the intake manifold on this 1.8 engine. What does it look like? I notice the book showing one for the 2.0 liter. any where else to look for it,

could it be that on my model I have to disconnect the distributor electrical connector and measure the resistance of the power transistor (inside the distributor???) and if the test results are incorrect the whole distrib. assembly must be replaced. as the book says: Please confirm. thanks, David

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

could it be that on my model I have to disconnect the distributor electrical connector and measure the resistance of the power transistor (inside the distributor???) and if the test results are incorrect the whole distrib. assembly must be replaced. as the book says:

Please confirm. thanks, David

Good evening my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to assist you tonight.

This motor had a high rate of failure with the distributor. It failed hot and when the motor cooled off, it would run great. The issue was oil coming up the distributor shaft and getting inside the workings of the distributor. The resolution was to replace the entire distributor assembly.

roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience: ASE master tech for 40 years