Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

Oldsmobile ciera sl: Same guy still with 96 olds ciera sl 3.1

Same guy still with 96 olds ciera sl 3.1 recap. Ran fine for 600 miles after an intake gasket replacement. Had coolant flush done, shop said guage showed it never over heated yet "service engine soon" light came on. At the time only codes it had was po121,122,123.tps low volts, tps problem 1, andso on. I drove home it sat for 30 minutes I came out and it would not start unless u put gas pedal down 1/2 way. It then sat over night next morning started on first try. Started to go up street and thats when I noticed trans wouldn't leave 1st till it reved up to about 3000rpm, I made it to work, about 9 miles I ordered a new tps and put it on. Got codes cleared and drove. Light came right back on, would not shift, idles to fast and hard to start. Hooked up to scanner and a buddy with a scanner showed me that my oldand new tps sensors BOTH read "key on engine off a fluxuation of 4.68 to 4.88volts AT IDLE and 1.24 AT WIDE OPEN throttle. My question this time is: 1. What are the causes of reverse polarity in tps voltage? 2. Is this cureable in an easy/inexpensive way? 3. Is this causing trans to not shift? Ps: since last time a few days ago when we messaged I have triied 3 used tps sensors as well as 1 new, plus a used "map" sensor, used "iac" motor. I need assistance and my work car back, i am on a strict buget thats why I do some things myself. Thank you for your help.
Category: Car
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using
justanswer.com, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your
concern today.

One thing I always wish to try and do is let you know if
something comes up and I am not able to reply back right away but this is
sometimes something I cannot avoid. I will always try to reply back to you
right away however please understand that I may be busy answering another
customer back and thus it may sometimes take time to reply back to you. As soon
as I return I will be sure to reply back to you as soon as I am able to.

Where did you purchase the tps sensor from?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Advance auto parts , but I have triied 3 total and all 3 same problem as well as original tps,

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Rob,

Certain vehicles you only want to use oem parts this is esp with tps sensors.

This tps generally should be around .5-.8vdc throttle closed to around 4.5vdc wot.

The fact that you have the exact opposite and even then numbers on low end are too high tells mean that the arm of the tps is in the wrong location most likely when being installed. if it allows to be mounted that way. But you should also only use an oem tps with this.

If
you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.

Thanks,

Joe

Bonuses
are appreciated. If you feel you need to leave a 1-2 happy face please instead
reply back to me via the reply to expert button. The first two rating faces are
negative feedback the next three after the first two are positive and only for
those 3 do I get a pos rating. If for any reason you are not satisfied please
reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The
deposit you placed when you opened the question is only a deposit you can then click
accept or one of the smile faces, but again only if you are satisfied and only
when you are ready to do so. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert
not the site or the product. If you have
any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.

Thanks
again for using justanswer / pearl.com and have a great day!

Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Rob,

It could be possible as well that the tps has been mounted upside down.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I just installed "New GM " oem tps sensor. $100 instead of $48 for new aftermarket. Still same ol'shit, shows 5 volts exactly at idle-(key on engine off) and 1.24 wot (key on engine off) INSTEAD OF NORMAL 1volt or less idle and 5 volts wot. What the hell Is goin on with this car? I am runnin out of money, for real. Really does anyone have the answer. Someone has got to have ran across a car with same issues and can point me in right direction without burnin up my walet.

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Rob,

I never told you to just replace it......

The fact that it is reading the opposite tells me the arm is either wrong when mounted or possible upside down, the sensor has a reference input say 5vdc and it works off the tps position at idle as I explained before only sends out .5-.8 and wot around 4.5vdc.

I only explained to you that an aftermarket tps should not be used and only an oem one should, I never said it was fully the problem just that it should not be used.

Please check if the arm is being moved before you install it, if being mounted upside down, or are you positive you do not have the wot and idle values mixed?

Otherwise its pretty much impossible for it to read backwards per say.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Its not upside down, wires will not reach, and I am totally aware of the voltage at idle verses wide open

throttle.

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Rob,

Is the throttle blade being moved or the tps arm being moved during install?

Other then that the only thing I would suspect would reverse the wot/idle values would be the ecu or a problem like shorted wiring in the harness.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I switched the power ground wires at plug but left signal wire alone and it runs good, shifts good, idles good. Even drives like normal. It was hooked up black to black and gray to gray. Now its opposite at plug in only. Works fine and voltage at idle and wot are back to normal. Thanks for your assistance

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Rob,

That is odd to say the least.... it seems they were hooked up correctly unless someone at one time replaced the connector with a used on and spliced it in or only replaced the connector without wires remove the pins and put the pins in the wrong location.

Either way that now explains the problem on how it was reversed and I am glad the issue has been resolved.

Have a good night.

Thanks,

Joe