Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

I have a 2003 Galant ES and had to replace the motor because

I have a 2003 Galant ES and had to replace the motor because the original motor threw a rod. The new motor is in and now we have absolutely no spark when cranking the engine to start the car. Along with the motor exchange I have also replaced the crank and cam sensors. Installed new spark plug wires and coil packs and spark plugs. Also new is the timing belt and tensioner and pulley. We changed the oil filter as well as the radiator hoses and thermostat and antifreeze. I felt that we should have gotten the ECM computer from the car that we got the motor from, I herd the now motor run while it was in the original car so I know that the replacement motor is good. We also used the flywheel from my motor when we changed engines, I recently had a friend tell that it sounds like my computer is not recognizing the now motor. I am a decent basic mechanic but this is a little over my head trouble shooting wise. Pease Help!
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Car
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
Good morning my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to assist you today..

First, I need to know what motor you are working with???
The pcm in your car is fine, It has no idea you changed the motor.
I would start with checking that you hooked up all your ground wires. Very common for some to be overlooked. Make sure all connectors are good and secure.

Lets start there

Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Roy,

I have a 2.4 four cylinder, I have checked all the connections and found two where the connectors were cracked. I replaced the cracked connectors with new ones with the exact same thing and then shrink wrapped them to make sure that they were secure. I have checked what I believe to be all of the grounds and there were a couple that were a little corroded so I cleaned them with a wire brush and emery paper and replaced them. The area where they attached to the body or car was also cleaned.

Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, with the key on, remove the connector from one of the coils and see if there is a wire with 12 volts. There should be ignition voltage present at all coils with key on. Roy

It should be a white wire. The white green is the return to the pcm.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Roy,

Thank you very much, I am not where the car is so I will have to wait until tomorrow to give the last suggestion a try. How does this work am I done after I disconnect with you today? I paid the $45.00 deposit but I do not want the monthly subscription. I usually always have a qualified mechanic work on my vehicles as I am not a mechanic by trade, I am a Police Captain and I try to stick to what I know. I have a mechanic that is working on this Galant and he was stuck and has had my car forever because he has been busy, and also because the first mechanic I had is very sick with cancer and couldn't finish the car. I ended up with the mechanic I have now by default he was actually recommended by my original mechanic and so far Dale has been very good but as I said originally he is very busy. He was trying to help Mike my original mechanic because he got sick, From what I have seen Dale is certified and seems to know what he is doing, as I said earlier I was just trying to assist him because I really need my car running. Anyhow long story short, will I have to pay the deposit if we terminate this session today? I thought I saw something I have 7 days free. Please advise

Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
I only get paid for my answer if you rate me and accept the answers. You can still contact me after you rate me and I will continue to help you if you need me.

Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience: ASE master tech for 40 years