Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.

This question is for Ron Z: How do i determine if the problem

This question is for Ron Z:
How do i determine if the problem is the brake fluid level sensor or parking brake switch on a 2002 Suzuki XL-7? The brake symbol (brake shoes) stays 'on' in the dash.Sometimes it would disappear if i shut off the engine and restart.If i play with the parking brake lever it would disappear occasionally.
Thanks for your help.
Hello! Welcome to the site! Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z. I'm here to provide as much info and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

From what you are describing here, it sounds like the problem is going to be in the e-brake switch or it's mount, but there is a quick test to eliminate the brake fluid level switch, just to be sure.
Brake fluid level switch specification:
OFF position (float up): No continuity
ON position (float down): Continuity

If the fluid level sensor tests ok, inspect the parking brake witch and make sure it's mounted securely. Inspect the electrical connector for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual checks ok, suspect a faulty Parking Brake Switch:

If you have no further questions at this time, Please remember to RATE YOUR Q&A EXPERIENCE TODAY! Your input is very important to us! Please make sure to leave a RATING! Thank-You!

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm always happy to answer follow-up questions! Follow-ups are always FREE! Even after you RATE!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Ron,
Thanks for responding so quickly. I will do the test.

No prob! Glad I could help! Have a great day!