Jack
Jack, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  I have been an automotive technician for over 15 years and have worked on most makes and models.
72783663

suzuki xl7: Took my car in to have the timing chain replace

Took my car in to have the timing chain replace due to a check engine code of po008. The rep stated the parts department sent the wrong year for the part I needed so the marks were not lining up and I would have to bring the car back when the CORRECT part came in to get it changed out. Now the shop is telling me the engines needs to be replaces because the chain will not stop jumping and the oil is not pumping back into the engine. The Po008 code is gone but now I have a P0018. I feel the shop caused the damage. Can anyone shed some light on the subject and tell me what could have happened. Prior to them working on my car on the 10th the only sign of problem was the check engine light was on. The car did not smoke, smell, make noise, or jerk until the bad chain was place on it on last month. Please help, this make no sense to me and I need an expect opinion.
Category: Car
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

Hello, My name is Jack (MR.PUTTPUTT) I will do my best to assist you today. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your I am sorry to hear that you are having such problems. I have owned and run a repair shop now for 15 years and have been repairing for over 30 years I own a xl7 myself and have had to do timing chains in it also. what year is your XL7?

Customer:

2008

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

did the rep put that in writing that the wrong parts were installed?

Customer:

yes

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

did they tell you what year they installed

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

the first code that you put is the P0008 that is for a bank 1 cam alignment issue

Customer:

I have my receipt showing I was to return also. And they did not tell me the year just that it would not line up.

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

the second code P0018 is for the crank cam correlation issue

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

the problem here is if they knew that the wrong parts were install and that the marks did not line up it should have never been put into service these engines are a son of a gun to do and I have seen several techs turn down the work because these are difficult to repair. I have even had the local Suzuki shop screw them up that is how bad these are. so for a repair shop to try and install a incorrect part and then give it back to you for a running vehicle is unacceptable. this engine should have never been started if the marks did not line up. if the chain keeps jumping either there is a oil problem on the engine now or the in-correct chain and gears.

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

again, if the marks did not line up there was no way for the tech to know if the engine was in time or not and if the engine is out of time damage will occur there was no if about it, if I was you I would contact my local BBB (better business office) and file a formal complaint

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

this shop should repair their screw up

Customer:

so are you saying the car would not have ran at all with the wrong chain on it.

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

no it could have ran but the tech that put it on if the marks did not line up had no idea if it was timed correctly

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

the timing chain engages a series of gears and if the gears are off even by one or two teeth damage will occur

Customer:

And could this have caused damage to the car.

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

a missed timed engine is very easy to damage, these engines are what are called a interference engine the crank and camshafts have to be in time, if they are not in time the crankshaft turns and raises and lowers the pistons at the same time the camshaft opens and closes the valves if the timing is off the valves can hit the pistons and bend or break. the oil pump is also driven by these chains and oil pressure is what keeps the tension and wear on the chains and gears

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

does what I have said make sense to you?

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

the chain and gear set that is for your XL7 fits from 07-09 only, I do not know anyone that would install the in-correct parts that is just a accident waiting to happen.

Customer:

Yes this does. Lastly as an expect if a car was bought in needed a motor from the start would you ever say it needs a timing chain as a less expense option for repair to fix the problem.

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

if this was brought into my shop, with the code that you had the P0008, I would have first checked for oil pressure with a manual gauge just to make sure it had good pressure, then once the front of the engine was tore down I wold line up the marks and see if it was out of time to start with and if so proceed from there. if the chain was loose and guides are worn only then would I proceed with the repair. if the truck needed a engine to start with a chain and gear is not going to repair it. the chain and gears are such a problem on these that I would say 90% of them get a new chain and gear set with guides at least once in there lifetime. a correct first diagnosing is always the way to a correct repair

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

I am still amazed that the shop would install the wrong parts

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

and then tell you to return with it to put the right ones in

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

that is not a correct repair

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

did they tell you it needed a engine?

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

to start with that is

Customer:

That you very much for the info I know I was not crazy in what I was saying. They will refund my money will not fix the problem and local shops are slow to give you advise. I feel I as wronged and entitled to damages by this shop they basically destroyed my car. Thank You again.

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

you are welcome, I am sorry that you had a bad experience I would go to the Better business office and file

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

I hate it that some shops give most good shops bad names

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

the key is to find a shop that has a good staff and treat you well no shop should ever hide what they do or do incorrect repairs that just makes it bad for the good shops

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

please remember to rate my efforts for you as that is how I am compensated for my time thank you again, I hope I helped

Jack, Auto Service Technician
Experience: I have been an automotive technician for over 15 years and have worked on most makes and models.