Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.

Subaru outback: I purchased a 2013 Outback. The dealer put

Customer Question

I purchased a 2013 Outback. The dealer put "after market backup sensors" Since installed it beeps when I engage in reverse. As I back straight to a car parked it doesn't beep, only from the sides. Is it not supposed to beep when I get close to another ex. car in parking lot?
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

The back up alarm systems used can be two different types depending on which system was installed.Some will have a light indicating bar that lights up when getting close to a vehicle or component behind your vehicle when backing up and some will beep or have both the beep and the light indicators.If your vehicle has the beep sensor system and it isn't beeping when backing close to a component behind the vehicle and it beeps when you place it in reverse it sounds like either the sensors are not mounted or connected electronically properly or the control unit for this park assist system isn't operating properly.

I would contact the dealer and let them know this system isn't operating like it should in your vehicle and since they had installed it they should check this over at no cost to you to see what is causing this issue here and then they can repair or replace the affected component.If there is damage to the sensors or vehicle though that wasn't there when they were installed the dealer will usually charge to repair this here but if it is a fault that wasn't caused by you then this should be at no cost in most cases.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for answering my question. I just hope they put the sensors in the right position on the bumper. It would mean I need to get a whole new system with a new bumper. Of course, this dealer put it in aftermarket and I am told they are responsible.

Can they turn up the sensitivity of a sensors or take out the ones that exist and replace in same position??

I am going to the dealer with this complaint since buying the car. Now, they think I should go directly to the place that installed them. Of course they say it is under warranty. Anymore information would help me greatly as I will go to them this week.

thanks

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Depends on what type of sensor system was installed as some may have sensitivity adjustments.If this fault occurred right after they were installed it is definitely either an install problem which should be corrected by them or the place that installed them at no cost to you or possibly the control unit for these sensors are fault and this should be covered under warranty at no cost to you as well.Most common I usually see is incorrect installation that causes this but with no sound at all when backing close to something it may not be connected properly or a control unit fault as well.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Now I just wait for the dealer thanks I did rate your answer.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.Let us know if there is anything else you need in the future.

Thanks Pete