Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member

When i start the van and the drl come on the (meter) fuse blows,

When i start the van and the drl come on the (meter) fuse blows, all thelights in the dash go out,the power windows wont work and the shifter wont go in gear.We have replaced the drl module in the console and it still does the same thing. Thanks for your time Bernie.
Category: Car
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

Billy :

Hello Bernie and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.

Billy :

Which exact fuse is blowing?

Customer:

The meter fuse in the fuse box on the driver side kick pad. Fuse no 22 on the fuse box cover

Billy :

This fuse powers the trip control and the cruise control system.

Billy :

Accordingly, you need to disconnect the components on these circuits, and put a fuse, and then the fuse should not blow (as nothing is on...put the components (connect them) back one by one, until the fuse blows again, then you know which exact circuit (or component) is causing this. So you check the specific wiring you got to, and if the wiring is good, you check/replace the component.

Billy :

Get back to me with your findings, or if further assistance is needed.

Billy :

Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more assistance...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Billy :

Regards, Billy

Customer:

What components are in this system,(what do I unplug).If I apply hand brake just enough to cancel drl fuse does not blow.

Billy :

The creuise control unit (in engine bay), the cruise control switch, here are some details:

Billy :

And the instrument cluster.

Customer: I have disconected the cruise in the engine bay and at the switch, nothing has changed. While I bypass the drl with the hand brake, the illumination fuse blows, no lights in dash ortail lamps.
Billy :

Billy :

The illumination fuse, is another than fuse 22?

Billy :

and have you tried disconnecting the instrument cluster?

Billy :

was the vehicle in some sort of bad weather, where water ingress is a possibility?

Customer: Yes the illumition fuse is another fuse in the engine bay, I will try the instrument cluster today. We have been having extrem heat and humidity all week.
Billy :

Billy :

Get back to me with your findings, and if the problem persists, with the fuse number so we proceed accordingly.

Billy :

Best of luck !

Billy :

Billy

Customer: I REMOVED CLUSTER,INSTALLED NEW FUSE AND AS SOON AS I TURN ON LIGHTS THE ILLIMINATION FUSE BLOWS.the fuse is in the fuse box in engine bay and it has no number. The headlamps go on but not the marker and tail lamps.
Billy :

Billy :

So now the illumination fuse is the problem... when you turn the lights on, and fuse blows, which lights stay on, and which ones go off?

Customer: first problem was meter fuse that would blow as soon as ignition was turn on, this was bypassed by leaving handbrake on just enough to shut of drl.When this done the van will go in gear and the headlamps go on but the dash lights, tail lamps and front marker lamps dont work because the illumination blows as soon as i turn on light manually with the switch.
Billy :

That is a great explanation (and diagnostics), here's how i would proceed:

Billy :

Remove the tail light connectors, the headlamp connectors, get to the relays under dash and in engine compartment: check all these for any loose connectors, broken wires, water ingress etc...

Billy :

And then, if the problem persists, you need to remove the connectors again, and refit one by one, while trying to turn the lights on, everytime, to see when the fuse gets blown. The last component connected when the fuse blows, would need thorough checking, and its wiring as well.

Billy :

As you have a short circuit causing this, and the best way to eliminate possibilities (and fastest way) and to get to the culprits would be this.

Customer: Will do, i have already checked the front headlamp assemblies,fuse still blows with them of the vehicule,I have replaced the relay in the fuse box in the engine bay. I will check the tail lamps and try to find the relay in the dash. Thank you for your time its very much appriciated.
Billy :

You're most welcome!!! Tackling this as indicated will sure get you to the faulty component (or short location).... Get back to me with your findings, or if further assistance is needed.

Billy :

Customer: While taking the rear trim apart to access rear tail lamp connectors I decided to remove the trailer connector i had installed when van was new,this solved the problem.All lights work as they should and no fuses blow.
Customer: Thank you for the help I would not have been able to find the problem without you.
Customer: Bernie
Billy :

Billy :

I'm glad that this was sorted swiftly.... You're most welcome Bernie!!!

Billy :

Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience: Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Bernard!

Hope all is well...

Just checking if your electrical issue (short circuit) was sorted. Get back to me whenever you need additional assistance or technical details.

Regards,
Billy