Jack
Jack, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  I have been an automotive technician for over 15 years and have worked on most makes and models.
72783663

Just purchased a used Hyundai elantra-2008-within days after buying- carts started misfiri

Just purchased a used Hyundai elantra-2008-within days after buying- carts started misfiring-
went to a garage and got codes po 304 and p2231.
I have having the car towed back to the dealer.
What should I expect him to do so I can feel secure in giving it back to my daughter.
Should I be worried that the dealer should have known about this potential problem.

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

Hello, My name is Jack (MR.PUTTPUTT) I will do my best to assist you today. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your car you just bought.

Customer:

Thank you

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

the codes that you have are for the #4 cylinder miss and then a code for a O2 sensor the O2 sensor code could be because of the Cyl. #4 miss, these can happen for a number of reasons, such as a bad plug, or a bad injector, or even a vacuum leak over that cylinder, is the dealer going to take care of the problem?

Customer:

Yes most definitely--I just want to make sure that I ask the right questions when I pick the car up.

Customer:

The car is for a 17 year old girl and I want to feel secure that it will be in good working order

Customer:

should the O2 sensor be replaced

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

I own and run a repair shop and what I would ask if this was mine is what parts did they find that took care of the problem, then you would like to know if they drove this several times to see if the warning light returned, the o2 sensor may be ok it could have just been the cylinder miss that caused this code this is what we call a false code repairs are to be done in a certain order, in this case you would try and fix the miss first, it can get kind of tricky as a bad O2 sensor can cause a miss as well. so when they scan the car it should give them a first repair and secord repair order as a guide but as I said they will find that as the repair goes.

Customer:

I assume that the dealer would not have had any knowledge of the problem before the sale.

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

I would say not, as it took a few days to get a problem, but if they take care of the problem that is a bonus for you as most used cars are just that USED, used cars are kind of tricky as they sit on the lot they get what we call lot rot they tend to get rusty brakes and corroision as they sit over time, so you may have bought it and then just from the use of it then the problem occurs, this does happen you should feel very happy that you have a dealer that is going to help you many of them are full of themselves and just tell you it was used. as is

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

as long as they fix the problem, and then I would just ask and say I would like to drive the car a few days to make sure no more lights, it sounds like you have a good dealer

Customer:

Thank you for the help- I do have a good dealer who will make it right...

Customer:

I think that's it for now