Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

2004 Grand Am-4cy Pontiac: I have a 2004 Grang AM-4 cy. with

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Grang AM-4 cy. with automatic door locks, my battery went down and I took the cables off to clean them, when I put the cables back on my door locks don't work now, the conformation that the doors was locked, my horn would beep, someone told me that I needed to reset the code, but I don't know how, could you please help me? Thanking you in advance William Dawson
Category: Car
Expert:  Edward replied 3 years ago.

Edward :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is Eddie and I will do all I can to help.

Edward :

Lets try something easy first.

Edward :

Remove both the pos. and neg. cable from the battery for a minute,

Edward :

then (away from the battery) Touch the cables together, this will discharge any static in the system.

Edward :

Reinstall the cables. (pos. first neg. second)

Edward :

Then, make sure all the doors trunk and hood are closed.

Edward :

And put the key in the lock cylinder in the drivers door and lock and unlock the doors a few times. Let me know if that helps or not. If not we can try something else. thank you.

Customer :

sorry it didn;t work, ok now what

Edward :

OK, do you have a key fob? that unlocks and locks the doors to this vehicle?

Customer :

yes

Edward :

Does that work?

Customer :

It's a generic but it always worked

Customer :

....and I changed the battery in it

Edward :

Is this a facotry security system?

Edward :

factory

Edward :

or add on?

Customer :

it's no add-on

Edward :

OK, Disconnect the battery , for a minute or two, (neg. cable is fine). Reinstall neg. cable, and click the key fob a few times and tell me if the doors respond.

Customer :

The problem didn't start, until I took the cables off

Edward :

right I understand.

Edward :

will it even crank? or run? when you try to start it?

Customer :

no problem starting

Customer :

just the doors

Edward :

OK, if it will start and run, then it's not in theft mode.

Edward :

You just get no confirmation that the car is locked up correct? with the horn chirp?

Customer :

don't understand

Customer :

right

Edward :

I was believing the vehicle had a theft mode problem. But, that is not the case if you can start and drive the vehicle.

Customer :

...oh yes, when starting the car, the doors lock

Edward :

alright, Do the parking lights blink when you lock the doors?

Customer :

...and unlock when car is park

Customer :

Yes light blink when you lock the doors, at least it use to

Edward :

ok, Try this, leave a window down, lock all the doors with the remote, reach inside unlock the door and open the door. Does the horn sound then and the alarm go off then? I wanna make sure it's arming itself.

Customer :

That's just it the remote don't work now

Edward :

doesn't unlock the doors or do anything?

Customer :

right

Edward :

alright, give me just a minute.

Customer :

ok

Edward :

Have you tried another battery in the key fob yet by chance?

Customer :

yes

Edward :

alright, This model requires a scan tool to program the key fob to the vehicle unfortunately. It has to be GM specific and advanced type. A regular engine obd ii code reader will not work.

Customer :

So what can I do now

Edward :

I wouldn't buy a scanner, (they are pricey) I would suggest contacting an independent shop or dealer to re-program that key fob. shouldn't be more than a 1/2 hours labor. That's really what your up against with a scanner to get into the lock module. Battery lost voltage and lost it's key fob memory in my opinion.

Customer :

....I brought the car five years ago from a dealership

Edward :

ok, You really don't need a dealership, if you can find a prominent shop with an advanced scanner for GM vehicles, they should be able to program the remote for you. Esp. one that specializes in GM's.

Edward :

A fair shop should do that for 30-40 dollars. It will only take 10 minutes or less. That is what I would suggest.

Customer :

Ok Ed, Thank You

Edward :

Absolutely, I wish it would have been an easy reset, but I believe the lock module has lost the memory and you will need a scan tool now to reprogram it. Have a great weekend.

Customer :

Thank You, Oh by the way how can I print this, you don't have a print icon on here

Edward :

If you can copy and paste it into a word document you can. You can always log back in and see it again, it never goes away, it will always be here fyi.

Customer :

Thank you Ed, have a good day

Edward :

Alright, you too.