K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

Mazda B2300: Ive replaced the ignition clutch switch twice

I've replaced the ignition clutch switch twice within a year. Is there a way to troubleshoot the problem of why it keeps going out? Or can I bypass the switch entirely to avoid having to fix the electrical problem? Or is the answer simple?

Usually the cheaper clutch switches will tend to wear out faster. I would suggest using a genuine Mazda switch. With that said I would not recommend bypassing the switch. (it controls more than just starting)

It also sounds like heat may be affecting this. Make sure to use dielectric grease on the connector pins to ensure a good reliable connection.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sounds good.

Am I to understand that you don't foresee any electrical issues that would cause this to fail prematurely? I purchased the vehicle "as-is" in the fall of 2011. Mechanically sound up until this point otherwise besides normal wear and tear.

Thank you.

I don't see any electrical problems. This witch controls a rather low amperage. Usually the replacement switches are pretty low usally (always seem to fail after the 1 year warranty. OEM mazda or standard would the only brands I would recommend