Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic

Hyundai Elantra GLS: hyundai 2013 elantra When the lights

hyundai 2013 elantra
When the lights are on "automatic"., the next day starting is sluggish and notice on screen indicates battery drain. following days it becomes even more difficult to start. When I take the lights out of" automatic "starting the car IS NO PROBLEM. Pointing this out to Hyundai mechanics , they say it can't be duplicated, therefore it cant be fixed! "The computer says there is nothing wrong"
Hello and welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this.

My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.

When the lights are on Auto, do they turn on, when the ignition is turned on?
do they stay on for a while when you turn the engine off?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Billy,

Yes they turn on when ignition is turned on

Yes they stay on for, maybe a minute( just like the internal lamps do ). I dont leave the car until there is total lights on at all. I am scrupulous about that.

Hello Abby,

And if you turn the auto function off, do you still get lights on when engine is off, and when ignition is on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

will try to answer you r recent question in as good a time as possible.....In the meantime:I I put the lights on auto function, then turned the motor off completely: all lights remained on.

I then just put the ignition on ( auto function still on ) and a BATTERY DISCHARGE WARNING appeared on the screen . But that does happens sometimes when just the ignition is on( only with auto function?)

Ill get back to the car as soon as possible and follow through with your"If the autofunction is off" test.

Dear Billy,

I hope you are still here!

OK...returned to car: Turned auto function off. I still get lights when engine is off

When just ignition is on I still get lights. UNLESS I manually turn the lights off completely on the light stick. Hope that gives a little more clarity.

Hello Abby,

That clears things out...

You have the lights draining the battery. You can either have Hyundai reprogram the lights, so they only stay on for a few seconds or none, when engine is switched off... or have them install a bigger battery which should tolerate the large current drain. This should clear your problem... The other way would be making sure the lights are off, when engine is off.
As now you still have a brand new battery, and getting this warning, when the battery gets a little older, the engine will no longer start.

Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more assistance...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...

Regards, Billy