Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

1999 Chev. S-10 truck cranks but wont start... replaced the

1999 Chev. S-10 truck cranks but won't start... replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter but still won't start. What should we try next?
Category: Car
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Edward :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help.

Edward :

Let me first ask, when you cut the Key ON Engine OFF, Do you see the check engine light come on in the dash? thanks.

Customer:

yes

Edward :

Alright, Do you have a flashing security light? or any aftermarket security system installed by chance?

Edward :

Have you checked all your fuses?

Edward :

Are you still there?

Customer:

yes

Edward :

alright, Do you have a flashing security light? or any aftermarket security system installed by chance?

Have you checked all your fuses?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

checked all the wires in the pump

Edward :

Alright, you have battery voltage at the pump when cranking?

Edward :

What about a spark tester to the spark plugs? or an old plug? to see if the engine is firing?

Customer:

trying it now

Customer:

testing with a screwdriver

Edward :

Don't shock yourself!!

Customer:

it just shocked him

Edward :

That's why I said a spark tester!! , is he alright?

Customer:

yes

Edward :

OK, good.

Edward :

Spray some starting fluid or carb cleaner, or something directly into the intake and see if it hits or runs briefly then. If it's got spark, should hit,

Customer:

w-40?

Edward :

Hold on, don't rate me yet.

Edward :

I haven't given an answer.

Edward :

WD 40 will work, but, not the best.

Customer:

air breather?

Edward :

Shoot just a couple sprays in the throttle body while somebody is cranking it, see if it fires up.

Edward :

Pull the fresh air hose off the engine.

Edward :

spray it right into the throttle body.

Customer:

It didn't work

Edward :

Yea, WD 40 isn't the best, need carb cleaner or starting fluid.

Edward :

It should fire with spark. and it's got spark if it shocked him.

Edward :

Did it shut off going down the road?

Edward :

or you parked it and then it wouldn't start later/

Customer:

it was parked at sonic while my daughter had lunch and wouldn'd restart, it was already having difficulty starting before all of this

Edward :

OK, do you have a noid light you can check injector pulse with? When cranking the light should flicker, indicating power and ground to the injectors.

Customer:

he's gone to get some carb cleaner at our neihborhood dollar store. No we don't have a noid light. you not not believe this but am at work on my cell phone and he is at homeworking on his truck and am talking to him from my office phone.

Edward :

OK, tell him to crack the throttle body and spray a good bit in there.

Customer:

he's on the way back to the house with the carb cleaner

Edward :

Then if it hits, we'll know it's either losing fuel pressure, or injector pulse.

Customer:

it started for few seconds

Edward :

OK,

Edward :

progress!

Edward :

Give me just a second to review some things, I will let you know what most likely it is then.

Edward :

OK, there is a fuel pump relay in the fuse box under the hood.

Edward :

Has he tried that yet?

Edward :

Tell him to check all his fuses. If it hits on carb cleaner like it did, we don't have any fuel pressure.

Customer:

yes he has a new relay that he put in yesterday

Edward :

and he replaced the pump too?

Edward :

has he got a fuel pressure gauge? or can he hit the schrader valve and see if he's got good fuel pressure at the fuel rail?

Edward :

He has to verify whether or not he's got fuel pressure at the rail if it starts on carb cleaner, that is next step.

Customer:

no fuel pressure gauge

Edward :

OK,

Edward :

That really is the next step.

Edward :

If you have fuel pressure, most likely the engine computer that has failed driver for inejctor pulse.

Edward :

If no fuel pressure, then I suspect fuel pump circuit and wiring if relay and pump are new.

Edward :

it's going to be one or the other there. It is not getting gas.

Edward :

I have to ask, he does have gas in the tank right?

Edward :

No fuel pressure is the issue.

Customer:

what do we do about the fuel pump pressure or wiring ? yes asked you have any gas in the tank!!

Edward :

He needs a 12 volt test light to check power to the pump, and someone to crank the vehicle while he checks for power to the pump.

Edward :

He needs a fuel pressure gauge to make sure he has 35-50 psi fuel pressure at the fuel rail at the engine.

Edward :

If he doesn't have fuel pressure, check for power at the pump, if he doesn't have power at the pump, then he will have to fault trace the fuel pump circuit, tell him to check All his fuses.

Customer:

I would like to get off my cell and get on my desktop computer to continue this

Edward :

I understand.

Edward :

Just repost when your on your desktop, and we can continue.

Edward :

This is a diagram of the fuel pump circuit, If the pump is new and he doesn't have any pressure, I suspect he has no power to the pump. This could be from a fuse, an faulty VSM. or relay. Here is the diagram to fault trace the circuit.

Customer:

okay we'll look at that

Edward :

Alright, If it's a power supply problem to the pump, you'll find the problem there, If you have fuel pressure, then most likely it's the Engine Computer not supplying injector pulse. thank you.

Customer:

okay I e-mailed him the diagram and he will take a look at it. However, since we are down to one vehicle he will have to leave and take my daughter to work and then pick me up too. We will let you know more in a just a while.

Edward :

alright sounds good. I hope that job goes smoothly!

Customer:

We are on the way back home. hopefully we can continue this after he has time to troubleshoot using the diagram.

Edward :

ok, sounds good.

Customer:

the problem is probably on fuel pressure from what you have said. We don't have a 12-volt test light to check power to the pump. we have a yellow GE digital multimeter GE2524 and we also have a GE circuit tester for outlets. Will those work?

Customer:

how do we go about checking the fuel pressure at the pump? My husband, Ronnie, is going to check a wire at the manifold, thinking it could be a wire loose or something because we recently had the alternator fixed. He took it to a shop for that.

Customer:

Oh, my so sorry, I made a mistake - Ronnie thinks that a wire is loose at the manifold from when he had to replace the starter (that was in January of this year) The alternator was just a month ago. I got the two incidents confused, I'm not a mechanic after all.

Edward :

Hello, The easiest way to check for power to the pump, is with someone cranking the engine, poke through the wire insulation with your test leads, put one lead on good metal chasis ground and one lead on the Gray Pump power wire. Should have battery voltage when cranking.

Customer:

I just told him to try that, he had check the wiring this morning and said everything was okay. He also started checking the iac valve pindle, and I'm sure I did not get that right. It had carbon deposits built up in it and he cleaned it out. He is putting that back together and then he will check the power to the pump (poking through the wire insulation with a test lead...) We have a multimeter that we purchased when we were working on the doorbell. Will that multimeter work for this job?

Edward :

If you can set it to 12 volts DC it will, if it's an AC meter (alternating current that is in a house) then it won't work, most digital multi-meters have a dial you can set on DC. Which is what a car uses.

Edward :

After we determine if the pump has power or not, we need to make sure it has fuel pressure to the fuel rail at the engine.

Edward :

If it's running when you spray carb cleaner in it, then I believe it does not have fuel pressure,

Customer:

He just tried the multimeter, following the instructions that you just gave us and he said it registered at 21.

Edward :

Tell him to check voltage AT the battery, Battery is 12 volts, tell him to set the meter until he see's twelve volts measuring at the battery terminals.

Edward :

21 is not a correct reading.

Customer:

he is trying that not sure if he has the multimeter on the right setting or using it correctly. he said that the battery registered 12.07

Customer:

tried pump again and getting 9-11

Edward :

OK, that reading was on the Grey wire correct?

Edward :

power wire to the pump.

Edward :

and chasis ground,

Edward :

He needs to check fuel pressure now, if the pump has power, then it should run, is it new?

Customer:

he doesn't have a fuel pressure gauge, does he need to buy one and how much do they cost?

Edward :

Do you have a Oreilly or Advance ? Sometimes they have one you can borrow for a small deposit or rent. There is a schrader valve where the gauge installs on the fuel rail,

Edward :

If not, there is a valve on the fuel rail that the gauge attaches, he can take the cap off, and turn key on engine off, if he pushes the valve steam with a small screwdriver fuel should spray out, I've done it before, but it is tricky so if he wants to try that tell him to be careful, put a rag just over the valve when you push the stem so gas doesn't go everywhere and will hit the rag.

Edward :

It will look similar to this, fuel pressure port.

Edward, Service Technician
Experience: 20 + years experience on various makes and models.