FixItMan, Master Technician

GM suburban XLT 1500: I have just purchased a new 2013 suburban

I have just purchased a new 2013 suburban XLT in Australia, it has been converted to right hand drive ( by so called experts ) and is fitted with rack and pinion steering, the steering is so tight that you would hardly know it had power steering and when I turn a corner the steering does not return and has to be turned back with the steering wheel. to add to this blue grease is oozing out of the pinion shaft housing. any suggestions please. ( the supplier of the vehicle says it will free up after 5-6000 km ).
Hello and thank you for the question. I would first worry about the ooze that is coming out of the rack. That should not happen as it may be defective. The next place to start is doing an alignment on this vehicle. When a rack and pinion is installed the caster needs to be increase about 1.5 degrees positive. This should help correct the hard steering and make the steering wheel return better. If it does not then you will need to have them put in another rack. Let me know if you need more help.