nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

97 isuzu rodel LSE model v6 chk engne lite comes on, car hesitates

Customer Question

97 isuzu rodel LSE model v6 chk engne lite comes on, car hesitates during acceleration, sputters and finally catches, chk engine lite then flashes, let off gas and chk engne lite goes solid. car misfires on load. what could be the problem, cant pass smog.
help.
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
im sorry for the long wait did you still need help ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes desperately, where do I begin? have driven short distance, need to get the new codes once again. will have by end of day and send to you as needed to asess repair. Any clues
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
first codes that came up were misfire, running lean, and i think the catalytic converter possible needs to be replaced as all the sputtering burnt it out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
this car has 2 converters probably will have to replace both, but sputtering needs to be fixed first as the new ones will just burn up as well. any clues? also the transmission was recently replaced on this car, and although it was the same exact one, could something related to the transmission be causing these chk engine codes to come up? fuel pump in gas tank was replaced as well and is still in need of being connected, would you know anything about the proper wiring diagram? the colors do not match up. ordered furel pump from partgeelks. any more info needed just let me know. thanks Ramona
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
lets start with getting the current codes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi gm wrench: the 97 rodeo is showing a p0300 random misfire multiple cylinders code, If you could please send me all the possibilites of mechanical problems i might check to clear the code and pass smog, It would be so hellpful, as paying for these services at a proper garage could be quite costly, and of which is saving money the purpose of my writing you in the first place. Please give me a true mechanical answer, as i have my own mechanic whiich will read this data and know what to do with it. as i said the catalytic converter might need replacing, but after the stuttering from this engine misfire code is fixed.
awaiting your prompt response... help.... Ramona 97 Isuzu rodeo LSE v6 engine. Also please remember the transmission was recentlly replaced, could that be affecting this cars preformance at this timer? help.........................r
please assess all processes that I might check to clear this code
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
***@******.*** cell xxx xxx xxx
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
how old are the tune up parts in this? fuel filter?
have the injectors been cleaned ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
put fuel injector cleaner in system, new fuel filter, ignition coils not changed, new spark plugs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what do you think the next step should be? /
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
the next step should be to plug a scan tool into it and see when its acting up which cylinders are skipping
we will approach it differently if its juts 1 or 2 cylinders skipping v/s if all are skipping
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can you run the car with the scan tool plugged in? I thought not. Innova 3100 0b02, is the model of the code reader iam using. Can i plug into a running car?
Expert:  nabilc replied 3 years ago.
Hello Ramona,
Indeed, you can connect the scan tool, turn ignition on, and then access the engine control unit, and then get to the misfire data, and turn the engine on, and take the vehicle for a test ride.
Someone needs to have the tool and watch it closely when the problem happens, to figure out exactly which cylinders are misfiring, or which are misfiring most.
Havign checked that, kindly get back to me if further assistance is needed, with these results, and whether anything was replaced so far (filters, spark plugs, coil, wires etc...)
Regards, Billy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
taking car for test ride with scanner plugged in as advised, will get back to you with code information and let you know what was replaced on the car so far, wish me some luck. get back to you sometime today. r amona
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
took ride in car, engine light came on and code read p0174system too lean, bank 2. could camshaft sensor be causing the problem? replaced parts are as follow: Fuel filter, fuel pump, TPS, EGR, what do you suggest?
what exactly does that code mean, and how do i clear it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The car is a 97 isuzu, but according to the manual the engine is a 1998, there are some differences between the 97 and 98 engines. sorry for the mix up. just an fyi. thanks, ramona
Expert:  nabilc replied 3 years ago.
Hello Ramona,
There is a difference between the 1997 and 1998 engines.
However, the fault code you have P0174 means that you have a lean mixture on bank 2 (bank 2 should be the cylinders on driver's side: cylinders 2, 4 and 6). A lean mixture means that the mixture is too low on fuel or too high on air.
I have attached the detailed checking procedure for this code, however i would first check thoroughly for any air leaks within the air intake system (from fuel filter and to the engine).
Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more assistance...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how do we check cylinders 2,4,and 6 for proper fuel delivery? can you give me a more detailed answer please.
and can these be adjusted? or do they have to be replaced? How can the air delivery be adjusted? I have no answer on how to solve the problem, you have just explained to me what the problem is according to the code, but not how to fix it. regards Ramona
Expert:  nabilc replied 3 years ago.
Hello Ramona,
To check for proper fuel delivery, you need to connect a fuel pressure gauge, and measure the fuel pressure. If the pressure is good (42 psi at idle and goes up to 55 psi at full throttle), then you need to remove the injectors and have them cleaned. If after cleaning the spray pattern is not good, or they are still leaking, they need to be replaced.
The air delivery cannot be adjusted, you just need to make sure that you have no air leaks. The easiest way to do so would be by getting a bottle easy start fluid, and spray along the air intake lines and the vacuum lines around them, with engine on at idle. When the engine rpm increases while spraying, then you have a leak at the location you are spraying, so you replace the pipe, hose or leaky area...
Kindly get back to me with your results, or if further assistance is needed.
Regards, Billy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you Billy, this helps a lot and is more along the lines of what iam dealing with. thank you, ***** ***** back to you if needed.
thanks: ramona
Expert:  nabilc replied 3 years ago.
Hello Ramona,
Make sure you get back to me if any further assistance is needed (or with the good news, hopefully)...
Regards, Billy
Expert:  nabilc replied 3 years ago.
Hello Ramona!
Hope all is great!
Just checking if your engine issue (hesitation) was sorted.
Regards,
Billy