Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Can I store a spare oil filter forever or will the gasket shrink

Can I store a spare oil filter forever or will the gasket shrink up eventually? Should I apply some motor oil to it to keep it pliable or doesnt it even matter?
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem solved. As long as the elements are ok it will be fine such as not freezing, storing in extremely hot area, dry area, wet area, ect. I've seen new old stock parts with the seals still being fine after 30 years. Let me know if you have any questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Currently in a garage, so Minnesota winters and tomorrow will be 94.

I really haven't experimented but I also live in Minnesota and have left oil filter in the garage for a couple years without any problems. If you plan to store for over a few years I would keep in basement or house. Let me know if you have any questions, thanks.