sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

liano: I purchased a 2002 daew, now the oil is low, I do not

I purchased a 2002 daew, now the oil is low, I do not know what kind of the oil the last owner used, so what kind of the oil so I fill in. regular oil, what grade 20-50? or synthetic oil?
thank you

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Is it a 2002 Daewoo Lanos?

The normal recommended oil viscosity for this engine is 10w30 for most climates. In colder climates or in winter then 5w30 is recommended, in extreme hot conditions then 15w40 is recommended. I'm not sure of your location, but most places in the US I would recommend 10w30 for most of the year, possibly switching to 5w30 in the winter.

Synthetic or conventional oil is just up to preference in this case, the manufacturer did not specify one way or the other.

If the oil is low and you're unsure of the history then it wouldn't hurt to just have the oil changed and start fresh, that way you would know when it was last done and what oil is in it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

as I understand that once you used the synthetic oil in your engine than you can not switch back to conventional oil. is this correct.

thank you

That's a common belief but it's not going to hurt anything if you use conventional oil in it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is it going to hurt anything if you mix synthetic oil to conventional oil to a engine, or 10-20 to 20-40 grade oil to the same engine?

thank you

No, it won't really hurt anything if you mix the oil, but if you don't know what type or viscosity the oil is now then it would be a good idea to just do an oil change and start fresh.