FixItMan, Master Technician

Chevron Silverado HD 2500: 04 silverado hd 2500 6.0L idles

Customer Question

04 silverado hd 2500 6.0L idles rough, sets code multiple cyl misfire runs fine as soon as I press accelerator. Tried new plugs, cleaning throttle body. Also heat comes out drivers side vents occasionally when air is on. Turning off ignition and restarting cures it temporarily. I had to install a new battery about a year ago and the problems seemed to begin after that. The interior lights seem to have a mind of their own. Is there a way to reset the computer or do I need to take it in to a dealer.
Category: Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 3 years ago.

FixItMan :

Hello, and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to help you. If I am not online when you are, please allow me time to return. You may have two separate issues going on here. For the rough idle start by cleaning the throttle body. If you do not know what this is then I can walk you through it. Replacing the battery will reset the position of the throttle plate and if it is dirty this can choke the engine of air at idle. If that does not help then you may have a vacuum leak some place. As for the strange electrical issues first make sure you have the right battery. If the battery is not large enough for the battery then this will occur. If the battery is fine then you may have a programming problem with the a/c module. This happens often with a lass of power. You can remove the HVAC fuse for about 5 minutes and then replace it to see if it helps. If it does not then the system grounds should be checked, which I can tell you where those are. If the problem remains then you may need to go to the dealer for programming.

JACUSTOMER-a7683kto- : Do I need to pull the hvac fuse on the inside or under the hood or both? Also do I need to disconnect battery cable when I clean the throttle body? Thanks
FixItMan : You should pull both fuses. No need to disconnect the battery during the cleaning. Just be sure that the key is turned off.