K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

Altima: Getting ready to swap out the a/c compressor and drier/accumul

Getting ready to swap out the a/c compressor and drier/accumulator on my 07 Nissan Altima. Have already figured out the removal/installation of the compressor but am looking for instructions on how to replace the drier/accumulator on the side of the condenser.

Also, my condensor is a salvage part with only 11k miles on it. However, in shipping, the electrical plug or harness broke and now I only have half a plug and both wires exposed. Can those be replaced or will it still work fine as long as the two wires go directly into the other plug?

I'm Josie and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of our professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no, answer yet. would still like to wait

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Hello, The broken plug you speak of is this on the top of the drier?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, there are two separate things here. As far as the drier is concerned, I am just looking for some 'plain English' instructions on how to do it.

As far as the plug, it is the plug on the compressor. I believe i am going to have to hard wire it but was looking for a bit of input on it.

Thanks for clearing that up. For the compressor plug you can hard wire it. Id suggest using some high quality crimp on bullet terminals. The only other way to fix it would be to replace the AC clutch.
The drier will have one or two bolts at the bottom and the lines come off. They are sealed with O rings. When reassembling make sure to use a little bit of A/C oil to lubricate them. (PAG oil)
Then there is just a bolt to remove the clamp that holds it to the condenser. You will also need to transfer the Pressure sensor on the top of the drier.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for that diagram, that helps on both the compressor and the drier. You wouldn't happen to have a diagram like that which shows the PAG oil drain/fill for the compressor would you? Its a salvage compressor so i want to drain the old PAG and replace with new.

also, here is a pic of my broken plug. You can see that the wires are still intact with their crimp ons, it was only the black plastic shroud around it that broke. Think I could still 'plug' those into the female harness and maybe electrical tape it to hold it?

There is no drain per say on the compressor. I suggest using a measuring cup and turning the compressor upside down and let it drain from the ports. Refill the new compressor with that amount of oil. Also add about an ounce of oil to the condenser.

You should be fine with plugging the compressor in and electrical tapeing the connector.
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade