Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

1997 isuzu rodeo above 80 outside temp it tends to run irradic

Customer Question

1997 isuzu rodeo above 80 outside temp it tends to run irradic sometimes at/temp lite comes on sometimes shuts off for a couple secounds
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tims auto repair :

HI

tims auto repair :

PLEASE EXPLAIN

tims auto repair :

does it get really hot?

tims auto repair :

are you there?

Customer:

yes im here the engine temp (radiator) does not get hot may be 160

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

please explain the problem you are having

tims auto repair :

does it not have a thermostat in it now?

tims auto repair :

also

tims auto repair :

please explain"shuts off"

Customer:

as though it runs out of gas

Customer:

does not have a thermostat now was worse befor i removed it

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

does it restart easy?

Customer:

yes

tims auto repair :

does it need to coolfor a while before it starts?

Customer:

no

tims auto repair :

does it only shut off when the engine is warm?

Customer:

yes

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?

Customer:

i was about 40 miles from home in the evening it ran all the way home without a problem it was cooler then

tims auto repair :

Customer:

thecomputer codes say left and right oxygen sensors needed but the lite was on for over a year

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

have you scanned it latley for new codes?

Customer:

yes last week

tims auto repair :

ok,,

tims auto repair :

from the way you explain

tims auto repair :

the first thing you need to do is to install a new thermastat

tims auto repair :

then

tims auto repair :

bleed the system

tims auto repair :

bleed it this way

tims auto repair :

1,you need to remove the radiator/reservoir cap when engine is cold

2-start the engine and let it idle

3-turn the heater on high

4-keep coolant on hand and add it as needed...some coolant may gush out with the air,so be careful

5-keep doing this until the engine is at operating tempeture,the heater is hot and the coolant in the radiator settles down

6-then install the cap

tims auto repair :

this should take care of the fluctuating.... then,,if you still arent getting any other trouble codes

tims auto repair :

replace the crank sensor

tims auto repair :

the crank sensors will do this sometimes when they go bad..

tims auto repair :

and,,most times not give a code for them

tims auto repair :

tims auto repair :

19_hn97passp_fem6e2-509b.png
Full Size Image

Removal
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Disconnect the electrical connector to the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor.
3. Remove one bolt and the CKP sensor from the right side of the engine block, just behind the mount.

NOTE: Use caution to avoid any hot oil that might drip out.

Inspection
1. Inspect the sensor 0-ring for cracks or leaks.
2. Replace the 0-ring if it is worn or damaged.
3. Lubricate the new 0-ring with engine oil.
4. Install the lubricated 0-ring.

Installation
1. Install the CKP sensor in the engine block.
2. Install the CKP sensor mounting bolt.
- Tighten the mounting bolt to 9 N.m (78 lb in).

3. Connect the electrical connector to the CKP sensor.
4. Connect the negative battery cable.

tims auto repair :

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price
Crankshaft Position Sensor

Crankshaft Position Sensor

8971043090$276.16

Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard

Replace

B0.30.4
Customer:

makes sense but i have a distributer

tims auto repair :

you can buy the sensor much cheaper than the dealer price i gave you at your local parts store

tims auto repair :

you have a 97?

tims auto repair :

even the 96 doesnt have the distributer

tims auto repair :

it is the 3.2//..right

tims auto repair :

?

Customer:

never mind i was working on my nissan also and my brain was on the which has a distributor i need new cars thanks ill try that

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

you are very welcome

tims auto repair :

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button so I can get credit for my work,, the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, ,please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.