greasemonkey2386
greasemonkey2386, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certifications A1,A4,A5,and A7 10+ years professional hands-on experience
71578964

Cadillac Eldorado ETC: just got a 2000 eldo cvt etc,only has

just got a 2000 eldo cvt etc,only has 35000 mi. no obvious problems other than top leaks. with the often talked about head gasket trouble and front seal leaks what can i do to prevent these from occurring?
hello, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there isn't really much that can be done to prevent the head gasket failures on your particular engine, it is just inherent in the way it was designed

however by keeping up with the maintenance and doing regular cooling system flushes you may be able to preserve the system longer as long as you use a quality coolant
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what coolant do you recommend and flush how often? i have heard also that the cooling fan comes on a little too late for best results but can be set or adjusted to come on earlier? did they still use the poor seals in 2000 eldos that caused so much trouble and if so would synthetic oil, lucas oil treatment or anything else be helpful? car only has 35,000 miles and i will keep it a long time so your help is very important to me. Thank You XXXXX XXXXX

i would recommend the prestone all makes all models formula 50/50 with water
the fans can not be adjusted without adding some kind of aftermarket temperature switch which is, of course possible
yes they still used seals that did not last as long as one would like
do you happen to know what kind of oil was being used in the car previously? switching between dino and syn. oil can cause leaks because the 2 do not mix and the synthetic will work its way into places the dino oil would not go (hence...leaks)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would a four core radiator stop the cooling problem or is it not worth the trouble and cost? it sounds like i should forget syn. oil so what weight reg. oil should i use? thanks Larry.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

did not get answers on my last reply.

its not worth the cost in my opinion, i have not seen enough evidence to say that its worth the time and cost

if you live in a climate where the weather stays between about 0 and 80 i would recommend 5w30