Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

car heats up and fan wont come on by itself

Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer ! my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will do my best to assist you with this problem

Hi, thank you for asking your question today. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a 2002 sl2 Saturn...115,830 miles...I've replaced the thermostat, 02sensor, coolant engine sensor, fuse, and fan assembly with new motor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

and I have no leaks of any kind...also the ac wont blow cold air...just giving all the info just to inform you

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

can you get to your cooling fan relay in the under hood fuse box and pull out the relay ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is it just in the fuse box...yes I can

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

yes remove the relay and there should be 4 terminals in the box that the relay plugs into can you see if when the engine is running if 2 terminals show 12 volts ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how do I check if it shows 12volts

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
do you have a multi meter or a test light ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

let me check...is it to check regular fuses too...then yes I do

Scratch that...no I do not have one

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

yes

with the engine running ( don't over heat it ) with the relay out see if 2 out of the 2 terminals show 12 volts in the box the relay plugs into

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Trying to borrow one from the neighbor real quick

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok if you can get one right now pull out the big fuse called COOL FAN lower right second up from bottom ( use the picture I sent ) see if that fuse is visually blown if it is NOT blown put it back in turn the car on with the relay OUT and with a big piece of wire or a big paper clip standing at the drivers fender looking at the fuse box jump one of the bottom terminals # XXXXX to terminal # XXXXX and tell me if the fan will turn on by jumping those terminals together

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Question....is the relay in the fuse box...where is the relay??

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

here it is

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

oh ok so the grey thing is the relay. the fuse is ok and wont have a multi meter until tomorrow.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

pull out the square relay turn the car on with the relay OUT and with a big piece of wire or a big paper clip standing at the drivers fender looking at the fuse box jump one of the bottom terminals # XXXXX to terminal # XXXXX and tell me if the fan will turn on by jumping those terminals together

jump what I show you in this picture and tell me if the fan runs with the engine running

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it came on

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok great job

now if BOTH the terminals # XXXXX show 12 volts with the car running then either that relay is bad or the computer is not telling the relay to turn on or the wire from the computer to the relay is bad

which a shop will have to plug in a scan tool to see if the computer is commanding on the fan relay

but for now you can drive the car as long as you start it up then jump it so the fan runs then when you stop the car unplug the jumper to shut the fan off for now until a shop can plug into the computer

Gary, Technician
Experience: GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK great thank you

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

anytime

don't forget to rate us here at Justanswer !

Gary, Technician