Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.

Isuzu Ascender: how difficult is it to replace ignition coils

how difficult is it to replace ignition coils on a 2003 isuzu ascender. Also, if I had 2 recently replaced will I be able to discern the old ones from the new, or is there an easy way to test them to see which ones are bad?
Hello! Welcome to the site! Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z. I'm here to provide as much info and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

Is this the 6-cylinder or the 8-cylinder engine?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

6 cylinder

Great! Thanks!

Ok- replcing the ignition coils isn't that bad of a job at all. I've wrapped up the procedure to replace the coils into a PDF File for easier viewing/printing. Download the procedure HERE

As for the coil difference- you should be able to spot the ones that were recently replaced. They're usually a different color or will have a different brand name on them that should stand out against the originals. Once you get in there, it should be noticable.

As for the test- Isuzu does not supply any electrical info on the coils such as Ohms, so there is no "official" test procedure. However, using an In-Line Spark Tester you can test the coils to make sure they are firing. You can usually pick up a spark tester fairly cheap at any local parts store.

If you have no further questions at this time, Please remember to RATE YOUR Q&A EXPERIENCE TODAY! Your input is very important to us! Please make sure to leave a RATING! Thank-You!

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm always happy to answer follow-up questions!

Hello again! Ron Z here.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~ Do you still need more help?
~ Confused by my info request or answer?
~ Need more time?
~ Confused on how the site works?
~ Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

-Ron Z
Your input is very important to us! Please make sure to leave a RATING! Thank-You!