Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.

Isuzu Ascender: how difficult is it to replace ignition coils

how difficult is it to replace ignition coils on a 2003 isuzu ascender. Also, if I had 2 recently replaced will I be able to discern the old ones from the new, or is there an easy way to test them to see which ones are bad?
Category: Car
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 months ago.
Hello! Welcome to the site! Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z. I'm here to provide as much info and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

Is this the 6-cylinder or the 8-cylinder engine?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

6 cylinder

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 months ago.
Great! Thanks!

Ok- replcing the ignition coils isn't that bad of a job at all. I've wrapped up the procedure to replace the coils into a PDF File for easier viewing/printing. Download the procedure HERE

As for the coil difference- you should be able to spot the ones that were recently replaced. They're usually a different color or will have a different brand name on them that should stand out against the originals. Once you get in there, it should be noticable.

As for the test- Isuzu does not supply any electrical info on the coils such as Ohms, so there is no "official" test procedure. However, using an In-Line Spark Tester you can test the coils to make sure they are firing. You can usually pick up a spark tester fairly cheap at any local parts store.
graphic

If you have no further questions at this time, Please remember to RATE YOUR Q&A EXPERIENCE TODAY! Your input is very important to us! Please make sure to leave a RATING! Thank-You!

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm always happy to answer follow-up questions!

Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 months ago.
Hello again! Ron Z here.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~ Do you still need more help?
~ Confused by my info request or answer?
~ Need more time?
~ Confused on how the site works?
~ Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

Thanks,
-Ron Z
Your input is very important to us! Please make sure to leave a RATING! Thank-You!