Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase certified, 24 years, bumper to bumper all makes
12331040

chev corvair: I am trying to put disc brakes on a car that

I am trying to put disc brakes on a car that came with drums. What,where,how do I measure to determine the correct rotor offset for front disc's for my application?

Scott :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will gladly assist you with your vehicle concern.

Scott :

Wow. What a project. I have attached a link for you, as to type this, would essentially be a book. Very detailed and had had other clients use it.
https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

Scott :

You will need to scroll past the "Wheel section" to get to the brakes.

Scott :

Now, JC Whitney also sells a complete kit for the Corvair. I guessed a 1965, due to me being hit by a 65 when I was a kid, and they get around $680.00 for the upgrade.

Scott :

Now, you may have to replace the Master Cylinder, due to "Fluid Volume" difference. I have read that some use a Ferio master with a older style corvette {70's} proportioning valve as others have used the Ferio proportioning valve.

It is a great undertaking, but can be done with enough money. There are many "Corvair" DIY sites with great ideas, but botXXXXX XXXXXne, I would buy a kit and add the master to make the job easier. Stay away from drop spindals from the S-10 trucks, very heavy and you will have an issue with cutting, ride height and speedo cable issues.

The Kit should come with a hub attachment to allow the use of the speedo cable.

Scott :

Good luck with your endeavor, and is you have anymore questions, let me know.

Scott :

Note: Changing the original engineering design and functionality of a vehicle is solely the decision of the vehicle owner, and in no way will this expert or just answer be responsible for any information given that may change the original design of any vehicle.

Customer:

I have tried (mocked up) the known kits I don't like the cobbled togetherness of the Corvair vendors. I am aware of the master cylinder issues, I just want to know how to measure for the rotor offset. No liability issues here.

Scott :

Once you get the Spindle Plate adapter and the hub assy that the rotor and caliper will ride on, you can then measure the distance from the outer, bottom edge of the caliper and distance between the brake pads once installed in the caliper. So if you do not use a kit and use the existing suspension, you need the following...

Hub assy that will rife on your spindle
caliper adaptor
caliper
then you can measure for the rotor.

Once again, and I know I am repeating myself, a "Kit" will have all of these items in it... well maybe not the Master.

Scott :

Rife should say Ride.

Scott :

If you choose not to use a kit, you are taking the difficult road, but it can be done. If you cannibalize other vehicles, there will most likely be cutting, welding and other fabrication.