sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Audi A3: Just looking for some help.I have a 2005 Audi

Just looking for some help.

I have a 2005 Audi A3 FSI 2.0 Auto Hatch and recently started getting some transmission issues.

Only happens after about 15-20mins of driving. Clunking in the lower gears, more when slowing to a stop and when applying the brake to stop completely the revs sit at about 1100 like the car wants to take off. I have to flick into neutral or stall. I have been told the clutch fails to disengage when stopping.

I have taken to 2 mechanics and researched with mixed reviews, from service to valve body replacement to complete overhaul. Not sure who to trust

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the torque converter clutch is staying on it can be caused by the converter itself, the solenoid that controls it or a sticking valve in the valve body. A complete overhaul isn't usually necessary unless the converter material delaminates and spreads through the trans. This can happen if the car is driven in this condition for a while without repairing it but you wouldn't know if there was debris unless at least the pan is dropped.

If it was me I would first drop the pan to see how much debris is there. If it's clean then I would go through the valve body and replace the solenoid. The converter clutch could be damaged and require converter replacement, if it shudders or slips on engagement once it's working again then it will need to be replaced.