Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

volvlo 850: 1996 Volvo 850 2.4L, Vin 55. my radiator leaks,can

Customer Question

1996 Volvo 850 2.4L, Vin 55. my radiator leaks,
can you give me the r and r for it with pics , thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

Here is the procedure I have located on this here:

1. Drain coolant:
- Remove expansion tank cap.
- Remove guard under radiator.
- Open radiator drain cock. Collect coolant with a hose on the drain cock.
- Close drain cock.

graphic

2. Detach the upper and lower radiator hoses:
- Remove the engine coolant fan FC.
- Detach the upper and lower engine radiator hoses
- Turbo: Detach the oil cooler hoses from the right side of the oil cooler.
- Automatic: Detach the oil cooler hoses from the left side of the oil cooler.

graphic

3. Remove upper A/C-condenser bolts
- Remove two upper bolts holding condenser to radiator.
- Hang up radiator with a cord as illustrates.

graphic

4. Remove lower A/C-condenser screws
- Remove two lower bolts holding condenser to radiator.

graphic

5. Disconnect radiator:
- Remove two bolts holding radiator.

CAUTION: Hold radiator to avoid damaging it.

graphic

6. Install radiator:
- Tighten radiator to 30 Nm (18 ft lb).
- Finger tighten two lower bolts holding A/C-condenser.

graphic

7. Tighten radiator/A/C-condenser:
- Install two upper screws for radiator/condenser.
8. Install radiator hoses and engine coolant fan:
- Install upper and lower radiator hoses.
- Install engine cooling fan.
- Raise car and tighten lower screws holding AC condenser to radiator.
- Reinstall splash guard.
9. Fill coolant:
- Fill cooling system through expansion tank.
- Total coolant capacity is about 7.2 l (7.6 US qt.).
- Run engine warm and top up if necessary.
- Check for leaks.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

all good thanks

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.Let us know if you need anything else in the future.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hey pete , i changed the radiator but now the cooloing fan doesnt work , it looks lie all the connectors are plugged in , however there are 2 wire connectors on each side of the car by the head lights on each side that have nothing i can see to plug into they are brownish orange in color and have three female slots , but to be honest i dont remember unplugging them ..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

now that i look inside these brown connectors , they look look rusty like the have never been plugged into anything. may they are for an option or something , the one on the passenger side is tide to the head light connectors and only move a couple og inches and i cant see anything reaching it ....// also the 6 amp fuse in the main box for the fan appears to be good. ..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

also were is the obd connector so i can check the check engine ligt and the abs, brakes and there is a radiator fan light

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay.

It sounds like the connectors you have located are for an option on the vehicle that are not used on your vehicle.

With a light on for the radiator fan (the only one I see that this may be is the coolant level light from my end here with a picture I have) this may be related why the fan is not coming on.Double check and make sure you have reconnected all connectors properly and that there are no bent pins/terminals in the connections and that your coolant level is full.

From what I have located the diagnostic connector is located in front of the shifter itself in the center console.You may have to remove a tray or a door/bezel to gain access to it.I would check the fault codes and see if any have set related to the fan issue as this may aid with the diagnosis of the fan.Let me know what codes you come up with here.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

also the abs light comes and and every now and then the speedometer just drops to zero and stay for a while, what that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes , it looks like the coolant was low, as it has not come back on yet, but how do i know if the fan is coming on now.??..as well is there a abs ,and brake light on and the speedometer doesnt work any more ??

thanks

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If your speedometer drops out and your abs light is on most likely these are related issues here due to a fault the abs control unit has detected like a possible electrical fault with one of the wheel speed sensors itself in the front of the vehicle.The brake light is also related to the abs light issue here as well and would be resolved when the abs issue is resolved.

The fan should come on usually with the ac on after a period of time running or when the engine temperature is around 215 to 225 degrees on most vehicles.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

great ,, thanks,, i was told a while ago the problem is with the passenger front wheel abs,. if it is the abs sensor, do you have an r and r for me to fix it... i also noticed that the back disc pads are almost gone. is that just like changing any other pads or do i need and r and r for that as wel..

thank you very much for all your help...

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I don't have any info on the abs sensor on this model here.From what I have located on the rear brakes this should be the same as any other vehicle with removing the pads and compressing the caliper to install the new pads to the caliper and vehicle.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i pulled the codes . i have p0172 bank one

p0481 cooling fan 2 control circuit

p0481 cooling fan 1

p0500 speed sensor a

p0442 evaporator leak

p0600 serial computor link..

does this help

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
This does help.Is it possible for you to open this up into a new question as it isn't related to the first part of the question here.You can request me or put my name in the first few words of the question if you want me to help.

Let me know,thanks Pete