Dad Mechanic
Dad Mechanic, Mechanic
Experience:  I have worked on everyting from Model Ts to 2012 Autos,

The internal cover (seen when you unscrew the cap) seems to have falle

The internal cover (seen when you unscrew the cap) seems to have fallen into the tank. My check engine light is coming on so I suspect without that little cover there is a fume seepage.
Sorry for your trouble. I think you should have it scanned to see if it is even related. they will scan it free at autozone,parts america, advance auto or o'rielys. Little cap dosen't realy do anything. More likely a bad fuel cap, if scans a leak in the fuel recovery system. Jim!!! Thanks for coming to Just Answers.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a plug in code reader, but where's the connector on a Miatia?

Jim!!! usually within 1foot of steering column, you may have to drop one of the kick panels.
If i can be of any further help please get back to me. Jim!!! Again thanks for coming to Just Answers.
I hope I have helped to resolve your problem. I am checking to see if I can assist with any thing else today, or clarify my answer to you.
Thanks for using Just Answers.
Dads Mechanic.