Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Suzuki Sidekick JX: Hello i have a 1998 suzuki sidekick 4dr

Customer Question

Hello i have a 1998 suzuki sidekick 4dr 1.6l 16 valve. The problem is it will crank over but will not start. I have checked for fuel and spark and am not getting either one. The fuel pump is not getting any power and i am not getting any spark from past the coil i was thinking maybe a bad coil or igniter which are built into the distributer but after noticing theres not power to the fuel pump i am suspecting possibly a bad ecm or relay?
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer ! my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will do my best to assist you with this problem

does the check engine light up in the dash with the key on ?

can you check in the fuse box if the fuse # XXXXX shows 12 volts on both sides of that fuse testing it with the fuse in place through the little openings in the top of it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey thanks for helping me out, there was no check engine light on with the ignition on or trying to start it. which fuse is # X? im assuming the one that says ignition coil meter, there seems to be no fuse there or power

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
nothing at that fuse testing both side with it in place ? if not test the BIG 80 amp fuse and see if you have voltage at that big fuse
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just looked at it again and it looks like some one rigged up another fuse for that location. It looks like i am getting power to one side of the fuse pins on fuse # X.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
can you test it with the fuse in place both sides ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok power to both sides when fuse is in place. fuse is good.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok good job

ok can you find the main relay as seen in this picture and unplug it and see if when the ignition key is on 2 terminals that the relay

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
plugged into show 12 volts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i located the relay and used a test light on it not a multimeter because i cant find it at the moment but i tested the 2 pins that had power and one made it really bright and the other seemed like it had a low signal

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok did only one light up with the key on and then another light up when you turned the key on ?

which was the dim one ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry theres actually three that light up. Theres 4 pins on the relay 2 that go up and down and 2 that go side to side out of those 4 pins 3 of them light up one 2 have good current and one of them has low current. if you can understand that haha. trying to be as clear as i can

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

im having a hard time with my schematics lets see if another expert can help

hang on another expert will replay back to you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thats for your help. It seems like the relays are getting power to them and i tried swapping the headlight relay relay with the main because they were the same and still nothing so i dont think its the relays.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok so i just hooked a obd2 code reader up to it and it starts right up unhooked it and theres no fuel or power so it only runs with a obd2 connected to it i guess. weird.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok so today i figured out that you dont even need the obd2 code reader hooked up to the plug that it connects to, just the plug itself works. Im guessing that when theres something plugged in to the data link connector its grounding out the ecm so now its just locating the wire thats not getting ground to the ecm or possibly just a bad ecm.

Expert:  Gary replied 12 months ago.
sorry for the long wait are you up for taking another stab at this problem ?