Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

Chysler Pacifica, AWD: I am replacing the driver side halfshaft

I am replacing the driver side halfshaft on a 2004 Chrysler Pacifca. I have the halfshaft removed from the outer hub, but it will not release from the transmission. I am sure there are parts which need to be removed to release it...but I do not know the details and the Chysler manual does not define how to.

Below are directions to remove the cv shaft, but essentially you use a prybar(3) between the inner joint housing(1) and the differential(2) to pry it out. the only thing holding it in is a snap ring, but they can be a bear at times.

you can also use a slide hammer with cv attachement to slide hammer it out. you can rent this from Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.

that answer is correct. could you point out what is incorrect? two other qualified experts even agreed.

you use either a prybar or a slide hammer with a cv axle attachment to remove it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I used the slide hammer the cv came apart. Now I have the inner gear and housing stuck in the transmission. further, there is no pry point between the housing and transmission. I have 3 different pry bars and one that looks like the one in allydata.

i would like a Chrysler expert

I will opt out, but i have removed them without issue with both a slide hammer on the stubborn ones and a prybar on others. the snap ring is likely spread apart some and no allowing it to come out easily.

Please dont reply until another expert replies back to you, otherwise it locks it to me and prevents another expert from helping you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have pics which I am trying to send which show the issue. There is no room to insert either a pry bar or a puller.

I keep getting the following message when I try sending the pics...You don't have permission to access "" on this server.

Reference #18.c547e41.1373561058.34ed6ba6

there are some site issues with both customers and experts trying to upload images. you can either send email it [email protected] with link to your question and they will send it to me, which can take a couple of hours, or you can go to mediafire and open a free account there and upload it there and post a link to it.

If you cannot a use a hammer to tap a prybar or the cv attachment for a slide hammer between the inner joint housing and the differential, then the inner cv shaft is jammed in there, it is not the directions previously provided are incorrect or that you are doing anyting wrong. It is just an unanticipated problem that normal directions dont account for.

you have a few choices at this point. you can remove the other cv axle and use a hammer and punch to pop the end of the stuck one out, or you can use a drill and drill a 3/8" to 1/2" hole in the side of the inner joint housing, run a bolt thru it, and run the bolt thru a bearing puller slide hammer attachment, secure it with a couple of nuts, and then slide hammer it out.

finally, you can use a punch or cold chisel with end placed on end of the housing at an angle and use a 3lb hammer to knock it out

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have sent pics [email protected]

I think you are heading down the right path.

Assuming I need to pull the passenger side (which looks like a path I may head down, any advice?

ok, as soon as they send me the pixs I will take a look. The passenger side is removed the same way as the driver side as far as what you take off to remove it.

I would crawl underneath first and make sure that side isnt jammed in and you have enough room for the cv attachment or a prybar. no sense in removing everything just to have the same problem on that side

Ok, i want to pull the procedure by your VIN code as those pics dont look like the Pacificas I have removed cv shafts from.
the housing looks to be recessed into the differental.

Could you get me the 17 digit VIN code

and to make sure, we are referring to driver side front axle and not the rear axle, correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi There,

it is the driver side...w/AWD 2C8GF68404R645815

Ok, the directions are correct for that one, just that from angle of photo looks a bit different.

have you tried putting it in neutral and then pulling it out? sometimes they come out easier with transmission in neutral

and are you going from the bottom with the pry bar, or from the wheel well with prybar to pop it out?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will try neautral

As for the prybar I have tried from the bottom and from the wheel well....

Also soaked it w/PB Blaster last night....

More to follow...

Ok, the quickest method at this point might be to drill holes in housing where arrows indicate, run a bolt thru it and thru bearing puller attachment and secure with nut and yank it out with slide hammer

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am with you on this Eric....

I really appreciate your dedication to helping me....

no problem. I have to go feed my horses and get them water, but will back in about 1 hour. let me know where you are at on it at that point and we will go from there
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor