Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

Isuzu Rodeo: 02 isuzu rodeo wont start with key but can

Customer Question

02 isuzu rodeo wont start with key but can put ground to relay under hood and will can see power on dr side finder on pink wire when we try to start
Category: Car
Expert:  Edward replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help.

let me first ask, Is this manual transmission or automatic?

If it's automatic, rake the gear stick from P to L a few times and try to crank in neutral. Let me know if that helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its auto done that let me tell you what they done they took the dash out to replace the blower motor it acts like a neutral safety thing

Expert:  Edward replied 3 years ago.
Ok, it will not start in park or neutral correct? Have you double checked all your fuses?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes sir

Expert:  Edward replied 3 years ago.
Alright, let me research this and pull the wiring diagram. I will post asap. If you have 2 keys try them both . For anti theft security reasons. Maybe bad key.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

does it have anti thief to the left on the door their is a plug with a key that's not lit up but I can turn the key on and start the car from the relay under the hood

Expert:  Edward replied 3 years ago.
With key on, of you jump the relay the car will run and you can drive it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes sir

Expert:  Edward replied 3 years ago.
Ok, its not a anti theft issue then. Let me post the wiring diagram and we will pin check it. It's gonna be a few minutes before I'm home, check back in about 15 mins. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok

Expert:  Edward replied 3 years ago.

OK, your going to need an ohm meter to check continuity of the wires. I believe you have an open circuit or a connector disconnected if this problem happened right after the dash was removed. Are you familiar with using an ohm meter? or 12 volt test light?

The PINK wire runs from the ign. switch to the ECM (Engine Control Module)

The ECM then GROUNDS the starter relay to provide power to the starter motor.

You need to check and see if you have power at the ECM pin 87 (PINK wire) When key is in START position. If that checks good, then,

You need to check pin 27 (BLACK/BLUE wire) From ECM to starter relay.
One of those circuits is open in my opnion.

Both of those should read less than 5 ohms indicating a good wire.
Here is the schematic.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes the pink is hot and the black and blue when grounded will start the car under the hood

Expert:  Edward replied 3 years ago.
I understand, you have to check the wires from the ECM to the relay, and from the ECM to the ign. switch. One of those has an open circuit. You will have to pin check the connectors and check the connectors, Refer to the diagram for the two wires you should check from the ECM to the starter relay. and Ign. switch to the ECM.