sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Kia OPTIMA: HELLO:I HAVE A 2004 KIA OPTIMA, 2.4, 4-CYLINDER,

HELLO:

I HAVE A 2004 KIA OPTIMA, 2.4, 4-CYLINDER, MANUAL TRANSMISSION AND I HAVE TWO PROBLEMS:

PROBLEM # XXXXX) THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON. I USED THE OBD 2 SCANNER AND THE CODE READ IS THE FOLLOWING:

P 0452 - EVAPORATIVE EMISSION SYSTEM PRESSURE SENSOR / SWITCH LOW INPUT (PLEASE IN YOUR ANSWER BE AS DETAILED AS POSSIBLE. I AM NO EXPERT)

PROBLEM # XXXXX) THE AIRBAG LIGHT IS ON. AS FAR AS I KNOW, THE CAR HAS HAD NO ACCIDENTS, THERE IS A FEMALE CONNECTOR UNDER BOTH THE DRIVER SEAT AND THE FRONT PASSENGER SET. HOW DO I GET RID OF THE AIRBAG LIGHT? HOW DO I KNOW WHICH COMPONENT NEEDS TO BE FIXED?

tHANK YOU.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

P0452 sets when the evap pressure sensor's signal drops too low and out of a normal signal range. The pressure sensor is mounted just forward of the trunk floor/spare tire area underneath. It receives a reference voltage and sensor ground and then creates a signal based on pressure in the evap system.

This code can be set by the sensor's wiring, the ECM (very unlikely), or the sensor itself. If the code resets immediately when cleared then the problem is current and can be diagnosed, but if it's an intermittent problem then electrical testing wouldn't help if the problem wasn't present while testing was being done.

At the time it's acting up you should find 5v on the purple wire in pin 3 (on right of connector, facing terminal end) and ground on the brown/orange wire. If these are ok then you can jump the two purple wires and it should then set a P0453. If it does then replace the sensor.

The airbag light is on because the airbag module has seen a problem somewhere in the system and set a fault code. The problem could be anything from a bad airbag module to the bags themselves, seatbelt pretensioners, clockspring in the steering column, impact sensors, wiring, etc. The first step in diagnosing the problem is using a capable scan tool to see what fault codes have set in the airbag module.