Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

Isuzu Rodeo: 1997 Isuzu Rodeo 4wd w/ 3.2L engine. approx 130k

1997 Isuzu Rodeo 4wd w/ 3.2L engine. approx 130k miles.

Recently, the Rodeo will occasionally lose all electrical power while driving. It will be running fine, then start missing and all electrical power cuts in and out rapidly, then it goes out completely. No dash lights, no dome light, no electrical power at all. After a few minutes it comes back and runs for a little while. When it comes back, it starts strong like battery is putting out plenty of current and voltage, the electrical guage is showing that the alternator is puting out 14 volts. Any suggestions? relay going bad? ground wires getting loose?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX you checked the voltage at the battery with a voltmeter, while running? not with the gauge in the dash, but with a hand held votlmeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not yet, I will do that.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
can you do this and tell me what the voltage is when running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I won't be able to check it until this afternoon after work. It is at home. afraid to drive it.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
No problem, I should be on all day, just reply back to this question, and I will help you,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One other tidbit of information. It rained really hard for about 3 days just prior to this behavior starting. I'll get that voltage reading as soon as I can.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
the rain should not effect this, but the voltage reading will tell alot, let me know what it is when you can,tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry it took so long to answer, but i was in the middle of moving and couldn't get to it.

The voltmeter reads 14.55 volts across the battery terminals when the car is running.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
did you check this when it was running rough?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, it was running smoothly at that point. I will try to measure it when it is running rough.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
yes, a bad alternator can be intermittent, we need to knwo what the voltage is when its acting up,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL