Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Bentley R Type: I have a 1990 Bentley Turbo R that will not

Customer Question

I have a 1990 Bentley Turbo R that will not start. The engine turns over but won't fire. There is plenty of spark and sufficient fuel pressure. With the ignition switch turned on and the engine not running the coils are sending good strong sparks to the plugs seemingly at random. I have tried to retreive flash codes by way of three diferent proceidures and have been quite unsuccessful. I get absolutely nothing on the display, it just reverts back to its normal status. What information do you need to put me on the right path ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

Hello

is this the seperate coil pack engine or does its have a distributor?

and is there any check engine light on?

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello JD

I see that you've opened another question which I've marked as duplicateand closed so you're not charged over and over as there should be a reply to expert capability on this question

So if its the twin distributor arrangement 1st thing to check is the rotor arm going round on both units and if it is, then is distributor cap on correctly and the little carbon bush in the cap in good condition

also check that the plug leads are on in the right order and that you're getting 12V to both coils with the igntion on
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Matt, its JD again with the Bentley that won't run. We have another Bentley that runs great. Should we start swapping parts onto the broken car and if so which ones?

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello JD

Before doing that can you tell me what have you found regarding my suggestions on the broken car?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Matt,

Yes, we checked out all of the things you suggested and everything was in spec.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello JD

in that case there should be an ignition amplifier that powers up the coil and is switched by the distributor its a small box mounted on the bulkhead which you can find by tracing the wires back from the distributor

the swapping this box with your known good one
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. I'll try that Friday AM.

Thanks,

Please let the moderator you are still working on this.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
will do
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We swapped the ignition amps with no success. Anything else we can try?

Thanks,

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello JD

in that case I'd try checking over the wiring to the ignition amp and the ECU for any damage or shorts as this does sound like an electrical issue

if the loom looks OK and the connections aren't corroded then I'd try swapping the ECU's over as this could be an internal fault within the ECU box