Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Oldsmobile 88: 1999 olds 88: After leaving the mechanic

1999 olds 88:

After leaving the mechanic who replaced my front bank 1 sensor (near catalytic converter), iI noticed the car running sluggishly. Thinking that it was just a problem with the computer having to realign, I did nothing about it. After two days, I got the engine tested at autozone and the readback stated that I needed a replacement of my vehicle speed sensor.
Fearing that i would have to spend another 100.00 to replace that sensor, then another goes right after, I decided to drive conservatively and not replace it. Yesterday, I started my car. It started up fine, plenty of juice. it would not engage forward or back ward. Plenty of tranny fluid. Tested for CV, ok. is it the vehicle speed sensor?

Hello I'm Chris. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

I am sorry you have had to wait so long for the first contact. Sometimes this happens when the question you ask is not detailed enough or its just hard to address online. Many have viewed your post, but have decided to pass.

I will do my best to help you. I have access to many repair sites, so at the least I can provide something to address at least part of your concern if it is not something I can address from memory and experience.

I mainly work in the last half of the day 2pm-midnight cst. , so that is when I do all of my responding.

Once you get an answer, you will be prompted to rate me. You are rating my help, not the website, or answer. If you feel the need to rate negative, please save the rating so I can try again or find someone whom may be able to help better.

Thanks for using our site, we will do all we can to earn your business, again sorry we did not get to you sooner.

X Do you still need help?

X Is there any more information you can add?

X At minimum what do you need to know if I can not address all of your concern?

Chris

>

>

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know what more I can tell you. I start the car. It starts up like any other healthy car does. I put it in drive and it does not move at all, same with reverse. I put it back in drive and give it a little gas and the speedometer stay at zero. The rpm's move, just not the speedometer.

I shut off the car, put the shift into neutral, got out of the car and pushed it and it moved. got back in the car started it up and it would not go forward in drive. Tried 1,2,3 and would not move forward. Battery fine. Again, I am going to ask; is this caused by a faulty vehivle speed sensor?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Moose:

I have made a short video of my car for you to see the problem easier. The url is a link to online file folder. The file is 10mb. Hope this helps

https://files.secureserver.net/0suhrRLXmhBXOy

You need to have the transaxle line pressure checked to see if its low. Low would mean the pump is damaged or the pump shaft has stripped or broken. If line pressure is good then you have a input shaft broken or clutch pressure seals faulty. This trans can only be fixed with an overhaul.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What kind of PUMP?

Is an over haul expensive?

Not the engine speed sensor?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

By the way yesterday, I noticed a puddle next to my right tire....anti-freeze? Any relationship to the current problem?

There is a hydraulic fluid pump inside the transaxle that moves the fluid, you must have pressure or nothing in the trans will work. An overhaul will range from 1400-2200$ depending on what all is needed once out and apart. No sensors will result in no engagement. The antifreeze leak is a separate concern.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I rated you this morning as the best feedback.

Can there be any other reason for my problem,?

would a bad speed sensor stop the car from going forward?

Any other scenarios.

If it is what you say it is, I will be burying my 14 year old car.

All electrical items on a trans can be disabled and the trans will still move forward and reverse, it will just not shift gears. I am sure its internal.