Kyle N.
Kyle N., ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master tech, L1, CA. Smog License,
652461

My wifes 2001 land rover just started overheating, so i replaced

My wifes 2001 land rover just started overheating, so i replaced the thermostat and it still overheats, however the temp gauge doesn't go above half, what else could the problem be? Could the water pump be going out?
Category: Car
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 1 year ago.

KyleN :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a car expert. I'd like to help you out with this one

KyleN :

I actually worked for Land Rover for a period of time as a dealer technician.

KyleN :

What model is your Land Rover?

KyleN :

Discovery?

Customer:

2001 discovery II

KyleN :

Okay I'm pretty familiar with Discovery II's

Customer:

Cool

KyleN :

Most of the time when one overheats the problem is a leaking head gasket

Customer:

its my first one / wifes

Customer:

Really!!!

KyleN :

These don't generally "break" when overheated they continue to run however

KyleN :

Get yourself a good flashlight and look from under the truck where the cylinder heads meet the block

KyleN :

If you see any coolant running down the block the head gasket has failed

Customer:

Ok, will it be a leak there

KyleN :

Yes

Customer:

oh ok

KyleN :

Like 90% of the time you'll see it

Customer:

What if its not leaking, i replaced the thermostat, but its still leaking

Customer:

overheating

KyleN :

Sometimes it will fail between two cylinders and burn the coolant as fuel during the normal combustion process. This is more difficult to find but a "leak down" test will find it.

KyleN :

Don't be mad they all eventually fail this way. It's not something you did it's a characteristic of the engine

Customer:

Wow thats nice... engineering

KyleN :

Well it's an old design

KyleN :

That engine is basically a 60's Buick engine design Rover bought from the Americans and has reworked it over and over.

KyleN :

The good thing is even when it overheats it rarely leaves you stranded. It will continue to run

KyleN :

Here's another tip

Customer:

Whats that?

Customer:

So pretty much im looking at a blown head gasket, if its not leaking there what else could be the issue?

KyleN :

I'm sorry this isn't a quick fix or something you wanted to hear. I could be wrong check the engine for yourself and see next then go from there. I'm always here to help if you find the head gaskets are good and need more help to figure it out.

Customer:

Ok could the water pump he fan spin?be bad and still t

Customer:

wow ... could the water pump be bad? but the fan still spin?

KyleN :

Yes. Here's another possibility too. The fan clutch could be bad and causes the waterpump not to spin enough and it will overheat. Take a mirror and look behind the fan clutch. It's like a round piece of aluminum bolted to the fan blade. If you look behind it and see oil leaking out of it it's bad and needs to be replaced.

Customer:

Ahh sweet, whats good info tell not really but

Customer:

man my computer does whatever, thats good info thanks

KyleN :

Check both things and see.

KyleN :

No problem!

Customer:

I will thank you

KyleN :

Good luck

Customer:

thanks again

KyleN :

your welcome

Kyle N., ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master tech, L1, CA. Smog License,