Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Mazda 626 LX: Ive got a 2001 626 4cyl. Last night we were

I've got a 2001 626 4cyl. Last night we were driving and it just quit. Now it cranks, but won't start, and if you hold down the throttle it cranks even faster. Checked the fuses and the fuel pump relay - they're all good. I can jump #30 and hear the pump running, and hear fuel in the rail. I checked the coil pack, and the resistances were higher than the numbers I had found so I replaced it, no change. I've read a bunch of threads on this problem, but nothing seems to fit. When I turn the key I don't hear the fuel pump.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.
hi
from the way you explain your problem,,it sounds as if your timing belt broke,or has jumped time,,you need to check the timing

please copy and paste the link below to your browser..i have uploaded more info on this there

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lrjemz1uyqaxupg/0706-mazda-626-CAUTION.doc
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for answering.

I checked through the oil filler hole and verified that the camshaft is turning so I know the belt isn't broken. I tried to use an inductive timing light to check for spark, but I could never get a flash. Is there another type of light that I should use for this ignition?

remove the plug and lay it against the engine wiith the wire connected to it..then turn the engine to see if the plug sparks
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. I tried that - no spark. I replaced the coil pack today, and verified that there's 12 volts at the connector.

ok
sense you have replaced the coil,,you problem may be the crank sensor....please be sure the timing belt isnt broked or striiped out
thanks
graphic
REPLACEMENT
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Disconnect the crankshaft position sensor connector.
3. Remove the crankshaft position sensor.
4. Install in the reverse order of removal.

Tightening torque: 7.9 - 10.7 N.m {80 - 100 kgf.cm, 69.5 - 95.4 in.lbf}

5. Inspect the air gap.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. I'll check that tomorrow. It's kind of late and dark here. Thanks for helping. I'll go ahead and mark your rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

See if you're ready for this: When I took off the gravel shield to check the crank sensor I found one of those metal brackets that holds hoses, cable, etc. lying behind the crank pulley. I don't know where it had fallen from. Once I took it out the car started right up. I guess the sensor was seeing that piece of metal, and didn't know what to think.

The bad news is that the bracket had sliced my alternator belt, and the hinge screw on the alternator is badly rounded. Off to the parts store for a biter socket and a belt.

glad you found the problem,,though that is a strange one
thanks