sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Toyota Sequoia SR5: I have a 2001 Sequoia SR5 4wd with 160K

I have a 2001 Sequoia SR5 4wd with 160K miles. Has been running fine. The EFI-1 20A fuse blew and each one thereafter blows too as soon as I turn the key to the On position. It did this about 3 years ago. It happened a couple of months after I had the AC compressor replaced and the entire AC (has AC in the rear too) system flushed out. It might be a coincidence.
I know I must have a pinched wire, but I never could find the source. Three years ago it cleared up on its own. Now I have the dash partially disassembled looking for anything out of the ordinary, but havent seen anything. Anyone run into this before?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The EFI-1 fuse powers a few components. If the fuse blows all the time then the short is constantly present now which will make it much easier to diagnose. The fact that the short doesn't appear until the key is turned on tells us that it is likely happening on a relay output circuit, the ECM waking up with the key on is turning on a couple relays in the circuit and the short is most likely on a relay output circuit.

One branch of this circuit leaves the fuse and goes to the ECM. Unplug the ECM and see if the short goes away, if it does then the problem is the ECM.

The fuse also powers the EFI relay which then powers many different components. From the EFI relay it also powers the fuel pump relay, and then to two more ECM circuits. Remove the fuel pump relay and see if the short goes away, if it does then the problem is the pump or it's wiring.

If the short is still there with the fuel pump relay out then remove the EFI relay and see if it goes away. If so then the problem is between the relay and ECM or the ECM itself.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. I pulled the Fuel Pump Relay, turned the ignition key and the fuse did not blow. I tested the relay for continuity and it failed. I bought a new relay and replaced the fuse. The car started and I drove it for a few miles, but then the fuse blew again. I bought a 2nd relay and replaced the fuse but this time the fuse keeps blowing. I am suspecting the fuel pump or a short in the fuel pump circuit. Ideas?

It's either going to be the fuel pump or a short to ground on the wire between the relay and the pump. If the fuse blows consistently that makes it much easier. Unplug the fuel pump and then see if the fuse blows. If not then the problem is in the pump, if it still blows then it has to be a wiring issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I will try that tonight

You're welcome!