sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

GM Cadillac CTS: HelloI have a 2009 Cadillac CTS and my key

Hello
I have a 2009 Cadillac CTS and my key is stuck in the ignition and it is in the on position. I can not turn it back to the off position

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are a couple possibilities for your problem.

I assume it feels as if it's going into park correctly? If it isn't going fully into park then it will prevent you from turning the key to the off position.

If it's fully going into park then it is going to be an interlock issue. If you have a column shifter then there is a mechanical link between the shifter and lock cylinder area that prevents you from turning the key off if it isn't in park. The cable may be damaged or out of adjustment, or the mechanism itslf in the column may be sticking.

If you have a floor shifter the interlock is controlled electronically. There is a park position switch in the shifter that sends a signal when you are in park and then an electronic solenoid in the column controls whether or not the key can be turned off. A failure of the switch in the shifter, a wiring issue or the interlock solenoid in the column could be the issue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The car is in park right now in my garage. The key is still in the ignition in the on position (facing forward). I can not turn the key back to cut it of in the off position. I wiggled n jiggled it but it will not release that key.

If the shifter is all the way in park then you have an interlock problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. What is an interlock problem? Do u mean the ignition switch? Or the key n tumbler?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. What is an interlock problem? Do u mean the ignition switch? Or the key n tumbler? Also, I can still drive it and start it. I can start it from the square box from under the steering wheel. Its like I can hot wire my car.

The interlock is what prevents you from taking the key out when the shifter is not in park. I'm not sure if you saw my original post or not, here it is again:

If it's fully going into park then it is going to be an interlock issue. If you have a column shifter then there is a mechanical link between the shifter and lock cylinder area that prevents you from turning the key off if it isn't in park. The cable may be damaged or out of adjustment, or the mechanism itself in the column may be sticking.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. Is this an expensive and complicated problem to fix?

It shouldn't be a complicated or expensive issue to diagnose and repair.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. I have one more issue. My speedometer is jumping like 10 miles ahead. I know I am not goin that fast and the temp is showing Celsius instead of Farenheit. What do u think is wrong?

It sounds like the instrument cluster units have been switched over to metric, if the speedometer is showing you kilometers instead of miles per hour then it will be much higher than you are used to.