Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Mazda MPV LX: When Overdrive button is on, I can not remake

When Overdrive button is on, I can not remake acceleration
the speed at this moment is 60km/h at 2000rpm.
I have to cut off the OVERDRIVE then the acceleration is return to normal.
I don't know do this in long term is safe or not

I'm Josie and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of our professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

From what you have described here it sounds like the torque converter is locking up like it should when over drive is selected but isnt disengaging on its own when trying to accelerate and is causing this issue here.

I would have the torque converter control circuit tested to see if a component is at fault.Most common on most vehicles is usually the torque converter lock up solenoid itself requiring replacement.It should disengage on its own even when switched on when trying to accelerate and in this case it is not,the control circuit would need to be checked/tested to locate the fault then repaired from there.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Technician
Experience: 17 years automotive training and experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Pete,

I succeeded by luck to correct this problem temporary by remove O/D when I am driving in low speed (less then 60km/h ) and then in Highway I turn on O/D. The problem acceleration loss is not repeat .

Note: I was inspired the logic of manual transmission, the 5th gear speed was reserved for high speed on HWY

I would like to ask your advice if it's safe to do this (turn on and off button O/D) in long term run.

Thanks in advance,

There are actually quite a few people that do this and most manufacturers recommend leaving the od off until you are at speeds or 45 mph or greater so you should be o.k.

Thanks Pete