Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

99 1500 silverado transmission wont engage.I tryed to put in

99 1500 silverado transmission wont engage.I tryed to put in 4 lo and then nothing
Welcome to Justanswer ! my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will do my best to assist you with this problem
no reverse either ?
when the engine is off and the transmission shifted into part will the truck roll or be locked on the parking lock where the truck will NOT roll forwards or backwards ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When its in park,engine off I can role it back and forth

ok there is defiantly a problem in the transfer case causing this issue
will it shift from 4HI to 2 HI for you ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It wont do anything,the lights wont even come on at the push button system

ok disconnect the battery for 5 minutes then touch the cables together for 1 minute then reconnect them and see if any lights will light up
if still will not light up you need to remove the encoder motor as seen in this picture and see if you can turn the shaft out of the transfer case by hand to get it into 4HI or 2HI will it will move and lock on the parking lock when you try to roll it

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will pull it to where I can get under it tomorrow.Thanks for info so far.Any thing else I should know when pulling the encoder motor.thanks

no just pull it off and see if you can shift it by hand then we will go from there
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi GMwrench,havent had time to get to my tranny until today.Stating to work on it know.If i can get it to shift into 4hi or 2hi manually can you tell me what I do next?Thanks.Also do you have to pull front drive line/

if you can shift it by hand into 4HI or 2HI then the encoder motors bad

if you can not the transfer case needs to come off and either there is an internal transfer case failure or a chance the rear planetary gear set inside the transmission

pull the case and when in park grabbing the rear shaft of the transmission and if it IS locked in park then the case is bad if it still will not lock in park the rear planetary gear set has failed in the transmission

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

guess what the problem was the fuse.might want to consider that one next time.almost spent a lot of time in a couple hundred dollars unnecessarily

something blew that fuse

something drew too many amps to blow it

fuses don't go bad something blows them