Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Isuzu Rodeo: I am working on a 2004 Isuzu rodeo with the direct

I am working on a 2004 Isuzu rodeo with the direct injection 3.5 liter engine it has a code 1650 and when it cranks over it sounds like the compression is off or low. the vehicle only has 58,000 well maintained miles. I ran a compression check and it was 145 lbs. in all drivers side cylinders and 195 lbs. in all passengers side cylinders. I suspected cam timing and exposed and checked timing marks and condition of belt. All marks lined up correctly and belt was tight and in good shape. I am suspecting a variable cam timing/oil control issue but can't find much info on this system. Any ideas?

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

I am sorry you have had to wait so long for the first contact. Sometimes this happens when the question you ask is not detailed enough or its just hard to address online. Many have viewed your post, but have decided to pass.

I will do my best to help you. I have access to many repair sites, so at the least I can provide something to address at least part of your concern if it is not something I can address from memory and experience.

I mainly work in the last half of the day 2pm-midnight cst. , so that is when I do all of my responding.

Once you get an answer, you will be prompted to rate me. You are rating my help, not the website, or answer. If you feel the need to rate negative, please save the rating so I can try again or find someone whom may be able to help better.

Thanks for using our site, we will do all we can to earn your business, again sorry we did not get to you sooner.

X Do you still need help?

X Is there any more information you can add?

X At minimum what do you need to know if I can not address all of your concern?

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I didn't mess with it much today as it was the 4th of july but I can add this information, It has codes 300 random/multiple misfire 302 cylinder 2 misfire and then the 1650 code which is manufacturer specific but I believe it has to do with variable cam timing. with the compression readings being 50 lbs. higher on all passenger side cylinders I was kinda ignoring the misfire codes at this point suspecting cam timing. As I said in first post I did check timing marks and they appear correct. I also did a resistance test on each oil control solenoid in the front of the cylinder heads and they both were 7.6-7.7 ohms. I don't have much more info and can't seem to find much info out there. I'm unaware if anyone has done a t-belt as it has no markings on it or brand name. What do you think would be my next step? thanks

We need to first off address the code you have stored. Have you done any of the below diag?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/04isuzu1650.pdf

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I noticed at top right of your flow charts that this information is for the 3.2L engine and I have the 3.5L direct injection. Is there a difference in the information or do they use same?

My files show the 3.5 can not even store this code.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/04isuzudtc.pdf

I would just continue on with the diag, if the results are making no sense then its possible there is a computer concern.