BigBob
BigBob, Shop Manager/Technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience
13327319

I have 116,000 miles on my Saturn Vue my second Trans at 72,000

I have 116,000 miles on my Saturn Vue my second Trans at 72,000 miles should I have my Trans oil changed or just leave it? Can I just have it topped up if low in fluid? Whats best to do? Help. Thanks. Roger
Category: Car
Expert:  BigBob replied 1 year ago.

BigBob :

Greetings and welcome to the website!!!!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help you with your question today.

BigBob :

Transmission fluid should be changed every 50k miles on this vehicle. I would definitely flush the entire system.

BigBob :

There is a dipstick on this vehicle, it is just very short.

Customer:

Thanks for the info. This will not harm my trans will it?

Customer:

Can I have it changed at any location Like Juffy lub or the like?

BigBob :

No not at all. If you have it done professionally they will also add an additive that will help shifting smoother and clean the varnish out of the transmission

BigBob :

Yess Jiffy lube can do it, just make sure they flush it and not drain and fill it.

BigBob :

Meant to say Yes.

Customer:

OK. I will have it checked and changed ASAP. Thanks Big Bob for the advice. I know you have charged me since my bank check you out.

Customer:

Will do.

BigBob :

You actually do not get charged until you rate my answer. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address any follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer:

Anything else I should know about this issue?

Customer:

Are you still there?

BigBob :

Yes. Looking at information.

BigBob :

If this does not have a dipstick it is a VT25-E transmission, but they can still pull the drain plug and look at the fluid. There is no check engine light correct?

Customer:

Waiting for any other info you think I might need for this issue

Customer:

No check light on now just some low noise when you first drive and then none.

BigBob :

The first thing you need to do is have the fluid level checked. This requires a scan tool, which some shops will be able to do, but Jiffy lube may not be able to do. Find a AAA approved shop in your area, they will be able to do it.

Customer:

What would a AAA shop charge just to check the level with there scan tool?

BigBob :

Probably no more that $25-$48

BigBob :

But if it needs a flush, then they will probably not charge you for checking the level. Of course that depends on the shop.

Customer:

Sounds good. Do you think Goodyear could check level for me or do I need a Trans shop?

BigBob :

Goodyear may have the right tools. You will need to check with them. I think they do.

Customer:

Thanks for all your advise.

BigBob, Shop Manager/Technician
Experience: Shop Manager with 25 years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the Help.

Expert:  BigBob replied 1 year ago.
Anytime. If you have further questions just let me know.

Bob