sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Mazda 3: I have a Mazda 3 2010, since 3 years I have always

I have a Mazda 3 2010, since 3 years I have always the same trouble. When I'm driving, I have a small noise each around 24 seconds from the air conditioner. When the sound happen, if I turn off my air conditioner and start it back, the sound will do it again, and again during couples times before stopping and starting back after 24 seconds. My car is still inside my Warranty but each time they fixing the prob (changed the air conditionner clutch...), the next year, I need to return back the car to fix it. What I'm suppose to do ? Thank you

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

What type of noise are you hearing? The compressor clutch uses a plate that is drawn to the pulley using an electromagnetic clutch and when it engages there will be a click noise. Over time the air gap of the clutch plate increases which can cause the click to become a bit louder. With the fact that it happens every 24 seconds and the clutch having been replaced twice it does seem as if you are hearing some type of noise from the clutch, I have to wonder if you are just hearing the normal click noise that it makes when engaging.

Is it a click that you are hearing?

Has there been actual damage to the clutches that were replaced?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the delay, I was outside due to my job.

To be honest the sound is loud, really loud and acute. When I'm driving on the Highway, it's not bad because with the wind I can't hearing it properly. But at 50km/h, windows open, I can hear it really well.

Just you know, the sound is only when I'm driving. If the car is not moving (we talk about 25 km/h minimum), I have no sound.

I know and I checked on different forum that you can get a sound when you start your air conditioner for the first time, and it's happen but the sound is more gross.

I'm suppose to see Mazda next week, but I want be sure to come and to be sure they will fix my problem. I lost already 3 days job the last 2 year for this prob. I'm really tired.

Thank you again.

Can you describe how the noise sounds?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

squeaky sound, and during only 1 sec maximum.

Does it sound like the belt chirping?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yeah kind of, but only 1 second. That's why it`s really strange.

If you turn the steering wheel all the way to the lock will the belt make noise?

Has there been actual physical damage to the clutches?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The clutches has been change 2 times, and mazda didn t told me if it has any damage on it. I don't think it was the prob because, the prob is again here.

I had no noise when turned my steering wheel.

I was under the impression that replacing the clutch has repaired the noise each time. Is that not the case?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

but how a clutch need to be replace each year.

Is replacing the clutch repairing the problem each time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
2 time and Compressor 1 time
There was a service bulletin for this problem and the clutch pressure plate was revised. I would hope that the dealer is using the revised part. Any parts used should be on your receipt. When the clutch repairs were done do you see a EG22-61-L11? This is the revised clutch plate.