Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Ford Focus SE: Hi, my 2002 focus a/c light works on fan speed

Hi, my 2002 focus a/c light works on fan speed 1, but on speeds 2,3, or 4, there is no cold air (and the green light goes away). In addition, the cold air on speed 1 only comes out when the car is moving- when the car is parked, the fan does not move on speed 1 at all. A mechanic thinks this is a problem with the compressor, but how can that be? It does produce some icy coldness when set to 1, it just doesn't produce cold, and BLOW the air at the same time
Hello and thank you for using Justanswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with your a/c problem.

The problem you are experiencing is not due to a bad compressor. The problem is simply a bad blower resistor. The compressor triggers off the fan speed #1 wire. When there is a connection through the blower resistor, all other fan speeds will also trigger the compressor. Replacing the blower resistor will fix your problem. The resistor is located near the blower motor under the passenger side of the dash.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am still waiting for a reply on just how hard it is to replace the resistor?

Sorry, never received your question. The resistor is fairly easy to replace, should take about a half hour to replace. Easily accessed from under passenger side of the dash. Worst case scenario would require removal of the glove box to replace the resistor.