Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Have a 2004 f-150 4x4 supercrew. Problem started with a vibration

Have a 2004 f-150 4x4 supercrew. Problem started with a vibration and when i applied brakes the whole truck was shaking. When i got stopped i could smell the brakes were hot just on front passenger side. let it cool and made it home. Thought the caliper was bad, replaced both front calipers,rotors, pads, and right side brake hose. Went about eight months same thing. I was told i should have replaced the rear pads also, so i went through the process again replaced everything, brake lines also. Four months and its started again. What should i do now?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

In some cases this can be caused by the brake master cylinder applying pressure to the brakes.The internal components in the master cylinder can swell and cause slight pressure on the brakes and cause a brake drag issue.This can cause the rotors to warp in a short amount of time and cause this here.

If this has not been checked into and from what you have described here I would have this checked to see if this is the fault.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Technician
Experience: 17 years automotive training and experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can understand how that would cause a problem, but on my truck it is always just the front right that has the problem. None of the others try and stick or hold. Would that cause a problem with just one wheel?

Usually this would cause a fault with both front wheels.This may be an internal hydraulic issue with the ABS control unit as I have seen some of these fail and can cause this here.Are you ever able to feel the brake drag/apply at all?

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not really. Once everything has been replaced it seems fine until the right front caliper seems to hold and is very slow releasing. There is a noise once in a while that happens just before completing a stop. It sounds like the four wheel drive is trying to lock in and right before the truck stops there is a very slight clang and it stops. Its seems random and sometimes can go several months before it happens again.

This is a difficult question for me to fully diagnose from here.

I will opt out and put this question back on the list to see if others can help more.Don't reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep the question locked to me.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.

Thanks Pete

Hi. I'm Dave,

Your the other expert has opted out, so I will try to assist you. Have you checked to see if the right side brake hose could be the problem?

You need to determine if the problem is MECHANICAL or if the problem is HYDRAULIC.

Do this:

Raise the vehicle up and make sure it is properly supported (lift or jack stands). Remove both of the front wheels.

Get in the vehicle and start the engine and step HARD on the brake pedal. Get out and see if the right caliper/hub will turn by hand. Compare the effort required to turn it with the effort required to turn the left side. (I sort-of assume you have already done this, but I am telling you this just in case you have not)

If the right side is hard to turn, or will not turn at all, open the bleeder screw on the right caliper. If brake fluid squirts out under pressure and the caliper releases, replace the brake hose.

Let me know how this goes. We can check for other things if needed.

Hi again,

I just wanted to thank You for using justanswer.com!

Please remember, you can come back to your question even after you have rated my services (at no additional cost) if you still need further assistance with the same problem.

My goal is to provide some of the best online automotive repair assistance available anywhere.

Feel free to contact me about all of your automotive questions. If I do not know the answer myself, I will help find someone else for you who does.

You can contact me directly in the future if you wish. You can do that by either asking for my profile name (Autotech58) in your question description, or by visiting my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-autotech58/

You can even save my profile page to your favorites list if you like.

Thank you again. I am looking forward to meeting more of your automotive needs in the future.