Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Red Seal Journeyman Technician, 20 Years experience
57969284

What are some good suggestions for years, makes, and models

What are some good suggestions for years, makes, and models for used cars, wagons, and SUVs under $5000? I live in Utah where it snows, but not in the mountains; mostly city and some highway mileage. I need decent gas mileage. My divorce is final in August, and I need to get a cheap used car that won't scare away the chicks. :-D

Canuck Tech :

Hi there - in the price range you are looking at, cool is going to be subjective. Fuel economy - a little easier. Great bang for the buck - Toyota Corolla. If you want something a little cooler, but with reasonable operating costs - Ford Ranger pick-up. I've been partial to the 4 wd models, but there will be some penalty in fuel economy. A 2wd truck is crummy in the snow unless you have some sandbags in the back and a set of snow tires. A Subaru would also be a decent choice, but service records are important, and models in the mid 2000's were known for head gasket issues, which would blow up your budget in a hurry

Canuck Tech :

If your credit didn't get nuked in the divorce, consider a new Ford Focus. Not sure about the US, but in Canada, leasing is back. Look for a 2 year term if possible, low cash down. Don't go for a long lease - too expensive. Great cars, cost effective, comes with a warranty. Excellent fuel economy. Pretty cool

Canuck Tech :

Hope that helps! Best of luck with your new life and new car! Canuck