Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Chrysler 300M: I have a 1999 300M that has recently had the

I have a 1999 300M that has recently had the ignition switch replaced. Today I noticed that the key was hot. Any ideas as to whats going on?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

If this excess heat from the key had started after the ignition switch was replaced this may be due to a fault with the electronic ignition switch itself to where one of the electrical contacts in the switch may be heating up due to poor switch build/contacts or a possible short.Usually if this was a short though a fuse would short out indicating a short is present.This may be an internal fault in the switch itself needing replaced.

If possible I would gain access to this switch when the key is felt to be hot and see if this switch is hot.If it is it may need replaced again as it may have been faulty ever since it was installed.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete