Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

Cadillac Seville SLS: I have a 1997 Cadillac sevelle that has

I have a 1997 Cadillac sevelle that has been setting for 4-5 years.
It has gas in the tank. I want to start driving it again. It starts up and sounds fine, but I am concerned about the old gas in it and no way to get it out. The car has 115k on an engine that had the engine rebuilt 6-7 years ago due to excessive over heating. How much damage will I do if I drive it without having the car towed to the dealer and the tank dropped.
Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help. how much fuel is how much fuel is in the tank now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

pretty much a full tank

If the gas is 4 or 5 years old, I'm sure it is deterioated some. If the vehicle does crank and run, Then that is a good sign that the fuel in the fuel rail where the injectors are is still in liquid form and hasn't congealed yet. If the tank isn't completely full here is what I would do.

1. Get two treatments of STA-BIL or equivalent fuel tank additive, you want an additive that says it stabilizes gas so that it can be stored.

2. After putting double dose of fuel stabilizer in the tank, let it sit about 30 minutes, then crank the engine and drive it to a gas station and completley fill the tank with 93 octane premium gas.

3. After running out apprixmately a 1/4 to a 1/2 tank of that gas, fill it up again.

I believe those steps will get the stale gas out of the way and you should be good to go after that. If not, you really can't do any damage to anything. Other than having to drain the tank anyway, The damage has already been done so to speak.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. thank you.