sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Cadillac Deville: Have been experiencing a vibration like driving

Have been experiencing a vibration like driving over a rumble strip when I am accelerating up hill in my 2005 Deville. No one seems to be able to pinpoint the problem. Is torque converter a possibility? Transmission was completely rebuilt about a year and a half ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The torque converter is a very likely cause for the symptoms you have described. When the torque converter clutch chatters it will cause a vibration that feels like rumble strips, that is often how I describe converter clutch shudder myself. When accelerating while the converter clutch is still on you are obviously adding more load and this would be a prime time for it to shudder if it was going to.

One thing that I would do is ride with a scan tool attached and see if the converter is in lockup when this happens. If so, try pushing the throttle hard enough that it unlocks the converter or try tapping the brake pedal to try to unlock it, and see if it goes away. If it goes away when the converter unlocks then it's likely the converter.

Converter clutch shudder can be caused by the converter itself or sometimes a fluid issue will cause it. If the fluid is incorrect or there are additives in it then that could cause it to shudder. Flushing the trans using the correct fluid may help or take care of it, but it may need a converter.