Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Land: Vehicle is a 2002 Land Rover Discovery II. Problem

Customer Question

Vehicle is a 2002 Land Rover Discovery II. Problem is the transmission is locked in Park and cannot move the gear shifter out of Park. This is Jim. Grateful for any help.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

does the brake lights work?

Customer: Yes. Rear brake lights work.
Customer: Yes
tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

first check all fuses

tims auto repair :

gnition And Shift Interlock Description

Shift interlock
When the transmission gear selector is in the PARK position and the ignition is in the OFF position '0' a shift interlock solenoid is de-energised, locking the transmission gear selector in the PARK position.

The transmission gear selector can only be moved from the PARK position when the ignition is on and the brake pedal is depressed. The brake pedal switch signals the BCU, which in turn signals the Intelligent Driver Module (IDM) to energise the shift interlock relay in the passenger compartment fusebox. This energises the shift interlock solenoid allowing the transmission gear selector to be moved from the PARK position.

Ignition key interlock
The key interlock solenoid prevents removal of the key when the transmission gear selector is not in the Park position.

Transfer box interlock
The transfer box interlock prevents the transfer box being shifted from 'H' or 'L' with the key removed from the ignition switch. A transfer gearbox interlock solenoid is controlled by the IDM which energises the solenoid and prevents transfer box lever operation.

Ignition and Shift Interlock Supply

Circuit supply
A feed from the battery positive terminal is connected by an R wire to the engine compartment fusebox where it passes through fusible links 3 and 8 and fuse 13.

A feed from fusible link 3 is connected from the engine compartment fusebox on an NR wire to the passenger compartment fusebox. The feed passes to fuses 20 and 21 in the passenger compartment fusebox.

A feed from fuse 13 is connected from the engine compartment fusebox on a PN wire to the passenger compartment fusebox. The feed is connected to the IDM and the coils of the interlock and transfer box relays.

A feed from fusible link 8 is connected on an NW wire to the passenger compartment fusebox and from the fusebox to the ignition switch on an N wire.

Ignition switch supply
With the ignition switch in position II, the feed from fusible link 8 flows through the ignition switch to the passenger compartment fuse box on a Y wire.

The feed continues through fuse 25 in the passenger compartment fusebox and is connected on a GO wire to the brake pedal switch.

tims auto repair :

your problem may be the shift interlock solenoid itself

tims auto repair :

tims auto repair :

Customer: Just pulled bottom fuse of left row. Contacts dirty. Replacing stemmed to work.
tims auto repair :

great

tims auto repair :

they will do that sometimes

tims auto repair :

so,,it shifts now?

Customer: Let me recheck.
tims auto repair :

ok

Customer: Seems be be working. Let me get it home and ill give a review. What is bottom left row fuse?
tims auto repair :

stand by

tims auto repair :

Engine Compartment Fuse Box - right hand side of the engine compartment

58_lr9903disco_el-023.png
Full Size Image

61_lr9903disco_el-026.png
Full Size Image

Relays

59_lr9903disco_el-024.png
Full Size Image

Fusible Links

60_lr9903disco_el-025.png
Full Size Image

Fuses

Passenger Compartment Fuse Box - under the fascia below the steering wheel

62_lr9903disco_el-027.png
Full Size Image

41_lr9903disco_el-029b.png
Full Size Image

Relays

63_lr9903disco_el-028.png
Full Size Image

Fuses (F1 - F22)

64_lr9903disco_el-029a.png
Full Size Image

Fuses (F23 - F35)

LH/RH Satellite Fuse Blocks (Seats) - under each front seat

66_lr9903disco_el-030a.png
Full Size Image

67_lr9903disco_el-030b.png
Full Size Image

Fuses

tims auto repair :

Customer: Thank you. Let me drive home and then write again.
tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

that will be fine

tims auto repair :

though,,i may be off line

tims auto repair :

but,,i will answer as soon as i get back on

tims auto repair :

thanks

Customer:

You are genius. Land Rover Discovery 2 problem fixed. Thanks a million.

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.